Replacement Windows

I have 9 Double Hung Windows on the front of the house which has a brick exterior.
What are my options when it comes to brick? I won't buy another house that has DH Windows: too many moving parts, too many drafts. I don't want to remove brick to get to the nailing fins. Are the any companies out there that make casement windows in a replacement?
This house is only 9 years old and the windows all leak, upper sashes fall, very frustrating.
http://24.210.212.190/pub/window1.jpg
http://24.210.212.190/pub/window2.jpg
Thanks In Advance, -a12vman
a12vman wrote:

Frankly your problems are not due to double hung windows, but your problems are due to poor quality windows. It makes no difference what kind of poor quality window you have, they will all quickly fail.
In my experience good double hung windows last longer and have fewer problems than casement windows of the same quality.
Unfortunately quality windows and good installers are expensive in the short run. They are far cheaper in the long run. I I would start by finding the installer first and the specific window second. I would not worry about how they are going to accomplish the job. A good professional will assess your current situation and choose the correct method and product to correct the problem. Even the best windows improperly installed will soon disappoint you again.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I had all of my windows replaced this year with double-glazed tilt-in windows. The contractor told me the same thing Joseph said about casement windows. I had one fairly large casement window in my computer room, and he created a replacement system where I have two side-by-side tilt-in windows in place of the one casement window.
MaryL
i use window worlds 2 pane windows with low e glass on my rentals. 230.00 each installed and as good or better than the 600.00 ones pushed by other companies.been there, done that.

You may have cheap windows, but there are many excellent double hung in the marketplace. The outside photo is kind of fuzzy and I'm not sure what it shows. Is there no wood in the frame at all? I'm sure one way or another, they can be removed without removing any brick. Is the house constructed of brick or just a facade over a frame structure?
In older all brick homes, you were able to remove the trim, sash bead, then the sash and put in a replacement unit against the remaining frame. If you have windows nailed in and then a brick facade over it, removal is different, but not impossible.
Go visit a Harvey window dealer and see what they have to offer. Use them as a comparison for other brands you may consider.

Yes, lots of companies can do exactly what you want. A list is available at your lumberyard or box store.
You links don't work.
FWIW, I have a brick/block home circa 1961 with DH windows. I had them replaced 3 years ago with Andersens, and have had no problems. The windows were a complete tear-out, not just sash replacements.
Find a good installer with lots of references, and you should be ok.
Personally, I think if you have DH with grids, that's what you should replace them with, otherwise your house looks funny.