Replacement Windows

Page 1 of 2
I am looking at getting replacement windows and wa contacted by Melani Brothers. A company that installs windows, siding and decks. The price they quoted me for 8 windows/installation is approx $8500. The demo window they brought out to my house, created by SunriseWindows seemed very high quality with no dead space with inthe frame or construction. The window is laser fused and is not mechanicaly (screws and bolts) constructed. They compared their window to a replacement window purchased from Lowes or Home Depot in how it is constructed and the overall quality, their window does seem far above what they tell me about the competitors windows, but it is just that... what they tell me.
Is $8500 a fair price for the windows and installation? Where would be a good place to go for information about their quality and workmanship? I have gone to BBB website and there were less than 10 complaints, all of which were resolved in one way or another.
The windows are (2) 32x66 and (6) 32x52.
Thanks for any help/advice you can give me. Carl

Over $1000 a window? Jesus. I got a 1970 built 4br raised ranch home re-sided in vinyl and all 12 windows replaced for less than that total of $8500.
Get more quotes. I got some Alside windows that I dearly miss at about $350 installed a piece--I think we did 12 of them. They weren't as long as your windows, but a similar quote was given to me at my new place which has these longer windows.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
Agreed as usual with ToddH, 8500 is about double what I would have expected.
Look into windows with known quality like Marvin Anderson and Pella. Consumers Reports has a good article on windows it was a test of 23 done a few years ago. Go to www.EnergyStar.gov to learn about your investment, there is alot to learn as none are made or perform equaly.
"Todd H." wrote

I agree Alside manufactures a decent window. And, they've been around for a long time. I do know they back their products.
The OP should be able to get a better product and much better price, for the size of the openings.

check w/alside. ours were 400ea, installed, for L+W=<100in.
Carl wrote:

By laser-fused I'm guessing it's vinyl?
If so, based on the price I paid for similarly sized windows in a house I remodeled for resale, you should be looking at no more than 2 grand installed including formed aluminum outside coverage.
All vinyl is crap anyway and begins to get brittle from UV exposure upon installation, so "premium prices" don't get you any more longevity.
Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:

Your premium wood windows will be in a landfill for twenty years while those Vinyl windows are still on your house.

Yes, which is why my 77 year old wooden windows are still in place on my house...
Dimitri
D. Gerasimatos wrote:

How many times have they been painted? Reglazed? Do they stick? How difficult are they to clean, on the outside? Have the counterweight cables been replaced? Do you bother to open them on a cool day or is it too much trouble? Do you have storm windows over them? Do they sweat in the winter? Wood windows are a lot of work, aren't they?
Lena

Are you kidding me? The previous owner put in 3 vinyl windows and I can't wait to get rid of them in favor of wood.
Dimitri

They've been painted about every 10 years or so. Reglazed as needed, mostly on the south and west sides. They don't stick, and we've replaced a few of the counterweight cables. We always open them on a cool day, without hesitation. We do have storm windows over all except one attic dormer window that I plan to build a simple storm for, just to protect the main window. They do not sweat in the winter (western New York). They're really hardly any work, and again, the return on investment for replacing them is on the order of 30 years. No, thanks, honey. I'll stick with these.
It's important to note that they don't make wood they way they used to.
Older windows are worth maintaining. Now these 12 year old piece of shit builder windows made of fast growth pine, I'll be replacing with vinyl just as goddamn soon as I have the money to do so. These things suck.
I'm sure the 77 year old windows, however, will last and if yer willing to do the maintenance, they'll look good doing so.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
In (Todd H.) wrote:

Careful; you may be saying the same thing about your vinyl windows in a few years.
We have a bunch of 'em and the ones that are opened (and closed) a lot now leak air; the plastic-on-plastic bearing surfaces apparently wear quite a bit. The ones that don't get opened very often are still in good shape.
When we remodeled the kitchen, we got aluminum (exterior) clad wood windows from Marvin. They've only been in 6 years, but so far, so good.
--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

I have nine Marvin aluminum exterior clad wood Marvin tilt pack double hung replacement windows now, the oldest put in about ten years ago, no problems.
Banty

Lena wrote:

For our (former) house, the windows were repainted after 7 years. No reglazing was necessary. One window did stick, and the counterweight cables had been replaced in all windows at some undefined point in the past. We opened them when we needed the windows opened, they had storms put on in the fall and taken off in the spring. No sweating noticable.
Um, yes, wood windows are more work than buying vinyl windows every 5 years or so -- but by the same token, washing my clothes is more work than just buying new ones every day.
And with vinyl, you get that weird white trim, which shouts 'bland!' (How can people stand to have their interior window trim not match their interior baseboard/chair rail trim? Just too strange...)
Caledonia
Caledonia wrote:

I've had vinyl windows and 2 sliding doors (EPI) for 15 years, including one big 10'x5' Zero problems and no maintainence, other than cleaning. They look and work as good as the day we got them.
"Caledonia" wrote in message

It would be interesting to know, which brands need replaced every 5 yrs or so.
As a former contractor, now retired, I put thousands of windows in, wood & vinyl. I only used two vinyl manufacturers, one I mentioned in an earlier post. The two I used, guaranteed all the vinyl sashes/frames etc for life. It wasn't empty guaranties, because customers contacted me, even after 25 years. I seen the manufacturers take care of the guaranties.
Of course not all manufacturers use virgin vinyl, or stand behind their guaranties.
To make a blanket statement about having to replace vinyl windows every 5 years or so, is simply not true.

Absolutely not true. Vinyl windows, just like any other window, can be trimmed out according to taste and budget.
Moiss Nacio wrote:

My neighbor replaced her 4 Newpro windows for leaking after ~4 years. Other contractors have mentioned that those (Newpro) aren't so great.

That's true -- it's highly unlikely that all vinyl windows would need replacement within a decade. Some most likely will, some likely won't.

Wow -- I have learned something new today. I've only seen vinyl windows with white muntins, and had believed that it wasn't possible to get the black (or dark green clad) vinyl windows due to heat issues. (Most windows in my area are the divided light (12 over 12) style -- typically painted black or dark green on the house's exterior, and painted to match the room trim on the interior.) Out of curiosity, who makes vinyl windows clad in 'historic' dark colors for the exterior, with paintable interiors?
Caledonia
Just replaced my slider windows with Andersen Renew with stainable oak laminate. So far they seem OK (very expensive though). Wood finish not as fine as I would have liked ,but its better than OK. Had no choice since only Andersen had a slider replacement with wood interior.Marvin unit only had one of the sashes moveable, kind of dumb. Andersen service has been great,makes the $$ easier to handle. Frank