Replacement of Carrier Furnace Blower Fan ?

The blower fan on my 17 year old (80% efficient) Carrier gas furnace is dead! I have 3 choices.
1. Replace the fan unit myself. Cost of fan unit? How difficult?
2. Hire an HVAC contractor to replace the fan unit. Cost estimates?
3. Hire an HVAC contractor to replace the entire furnace.
Is it worth replacing only the fan or shoiuld I replace the furnace? Any advice? Any referals to an HVAC contractor in Milwaukee, WI area??
Thanks
Jim M wrote:

Sure the fan is dead? Not the control circuit on the logic board? If fan is dead, it could be mechanical or electrical failure such as bearing or winding, capacitor, etc. It depends.

Are you refering to the thermostat?
I have no way of testing it.
My wife said she heard a clicking sound the last time it was running.

i would get a price on a new 90+ furnace to cut your fuel bill..........
whens the last time furnace was serviced? how is the heat exchanger?
Jim M wrote:

What do you mean dead? If blower motor dead, replace it yourself ~ $70. Or call contractor ~$400
If heat Xchanger bad, I would replace whole thing.
Jim M wrote:

17 year old fan relay or the control or power circuits? There should be a lot of contractors in the Milwaukee area that you could talk to.
3.) Before you replace equipment have a heat-gain heat-loss manual J done and then do what you can to reduce both! Then have the duct system inspected and tested. If you want to SAVE Money, you need an efficient ductwork and a well insulated efficient home with properly sized HVAC equipment. Do not rush into anything until you assess all the options. - udarrell - Darrell