Replacement kitchen tile?

Hi, I'm about to replace the tile in my kitchen and have a few questions... the vinyl tile looks like it's the cheapest 86cents a square. Do I still need underlayment for the vinyl tile? Or can I lay that directly on the floor (wood)?
~ Matt
<< vinyl tile looks like it's the cheapest 86cents a square. >>
Don't even think about using something that cheap in your kitchen. It has no top wear layer like the quality tile and will look like crap in a year or so around the sink and stove. The bargain tile will also shrink slightly over time and leave some ugly gaps to bug you. Armstrong and others make tile with a polyurethane top coats that will give years of good service.
<< Or can I lay that directly on the floor (wood)? >>
Can be done if the floor is not bare (unfinished) wood and is smooth. Pros will level floors with specialty compounds or autobody type fillers and sand and then topcoat with sealers, varnishes or paints to present a good substrate for the tile. Some like underlayments if the floor looks beyond upgrading but all the nailing needed to keep it from feeling spongy underfoot can be a negative. Added height may also affect doors or molding with underlayments. Choose wisely and good luck.
Joe