Replacement drain field tile?

Hi, I have a septic system that was put in when the house was built in the

60's. I have determined that several feet of drain field concrete tile have disintegrated in one channel, and I would like to replace them. I have already dug a ditch and exposed the problem area, and only need to replace about 4-5 feet of it.

Can anyone suggest what material should be used to replace? One local gentleman suggested plastic piping from the local hardware store, but that I may need to cut it myself. I'm not sure if I understood 100%, but I think he's just talking about some ABS plastic and cutting it into half-cylinders myself.

As much fun as digging the ditch was, I would prefer to not do it again any time soon. :) Can anyone suggest if such an approach would be a good solution, or if not can you recommend what kind of supplier to pursue these replacement tiles from?

The area surrounding the pipes is currently a mixture of dirt and gravel. I expected to find just gravel, but probably this has migrated around over the last 40 years. I assume I should resurround this bit of pipe with fresh gravel while I'm in here. Any suggestion on what size to use, how wide of a channel to fill with it, or other relevant specifications?

Thanks much!

Reply to
ahains.mapSoN

If one part of the finger system has failed, it is likely other parts are close to failure. Additionally, in many (most?) areas, any time the system is opened, it has to be inspected and signed off by health dept, and they basically want to see a recognized qualified septic company doing the work.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and replace the whole damn finger system, and get it over with. Way easier and cheaper in summer than in winter, when a hard frost may make it back up entirely.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

If you can figure out why the original system failed, you may be able to avoid the total replacement. For instance, did someone drive a truck loaded with soil across your septic system, crushing the pipes?

Reply to
Stubby

You replace it with PVC drain pipe, 4" in diameter, it comes with holes punched in it for drainage. You do NOT cut it lengthwise but put a whole piece of pipe in the ground. Where it abuts the old clay pipes, cover the joint with some tar paper or a short length of pipe that is split into a halfround to keep particulates from dropping down.

Reply to
EXT

I would replace the crushed section then wait a while to see how it works. IT sounds like there is at least a possibility that your leechfield may be saturated. I would give the patch a chance though before I dug up the whole thing.

Reply to
Jimmie D