Replace Sears circular saw?

Page 1 of 2

Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?
My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars a lot, but doesn't cut much.
If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime guarantee? or...?
Your experience appreciated.
Higgs Boson wrote:

I think there's only a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman brand hand tools, so they'll just probably tell you "no."
Are we talking about a table saw or a hand held saw? If a table saw and the motor is just weak, it might be more economical to just replace the motor with a better one.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

No, I'll bet the OP is talking about a handheld circular saw. Try a new blade first, for chrissakes.

And this time put it on so the arrow goes in the correct way for the rotation;
Joe

Oops! I didn't know that. You saved me some embarrasment, if that's the case.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations for casual home user..mainly rough cuts?
TIA
Higgs Boson wrote:

Is $40.00 too much?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber245
HeyBub wrote:

I'd actually go to a pawn shop and see if I could find a contractor grade one for cheap. probably last a lifetime.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

My dad worked construction all his life. For a while he bought "contractor grade" saws. Instead of them going bad they would just need "work", like new bearings, brushes, etc. Which was more trouble then just buying new. About halfway thru his career he switched to just buying a cheap skill saw and throwing it out at the end of a job. Also, the "good stuff" was usually a lot heavier which make them more tiresome to use. That may not be as true today since so much stuff, even good stuff, is made of plastic.
My experience as a non-pro for stuff like this is that what works well is not necessarily the absolute cheapest. I get inexpensive stuff with a warranty good enough to make it thru the early failure period. They last a long time for occasional use.

For that saw - yes. Better to get a good quality saw used. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitachi-C7SB2-Circular-Saw-with-Edge-Guide_W0QQitemZ140347881026 or any of the other thousands for sale out there. eBay, Craigslist, pawn shop.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:05:16 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Give amazon.com a look. They have factory recon Ryobi & Skil saws for $30-40.
Personally- I'd figure out what my budget was. . . add $20-30 and get the best rebuilt saw I could find. That circular saw should be kicking around for a long time [at least 3 of us in this thread have 25-40 year old B&D's], and there's nothing more frustrating than a saw that slips out of adjustment when you least expect it.
Jim
Harbor Freight comes to mind. No worries, they likely get that question often enough.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

From a previous post of mine in case you have an Ollie's Outlet nearby AND thay just happen to have it also.
============================================== Yea I have some pretty old B&D stuff including a 7.25 circular saw that was bought in 1983, seen a lot of use and not even new brushes. Bearings are noisy as hell and it sounds like it's gonna die next use. That next use has been going on for 3 yrs.
Couple of weeks ago I was in Ollie's Outlet (place like Big Lots) and they had a bunch of Skill saws to my amazement. Probably disco models. 39.95 for a 13a, 2.5hp, carbide blade, case, good feel, nice indicators and adjusters. Kinda hard to pass up at that price with only a Night of the Living Dead B&D on hand.
http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools/Category/Product/default.html?pidV00-04&cidE
Red Green wrote:

http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools/Category/Product/default.html?pidV00-04&cidE I got all excited there for a second; if it was a worm drive model I knew what I'd be doing tomorrow.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If it was a worm drive Nate I would have bought them all and eBay'd them or something.
Worn bearings can cause it to roar, and if it's really bad, I would probably replace it. But if the blade is spinning at a good speed and it's not cutting, then either the blade is dull or the wrong kind for what you're trying to cut.
I probably should have asked first what kind of saw you're talking about. I was assuming you meant a circular saw, but I guess you could mean a chain saw...
And just to cover the "silly" factor... If you haven't used it in a long time, make sure you don't have the blade/chain on backwards.

Oops, completely missed the subject line...

Tx. Will double-check as soon as I get the cast off my L. wrist (accident happened AFTER I tried the saw -- no connection.)
Hmm. This being usenet, should we belive you?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Larry Fishel wrote: