replace floorboard

I have a small landing area right next to my back door that measures only about 3x4 feet. I pulled the small piece of carpet which revealed vinyl tile. The problem is that the area reeks of dog urine as apparently the previous owner was never around to let the dog out and it always pissed next to the door.
I think I need to replace the piece of plywood underneath the vinyl tile.
I'm just looking for any tips or obvious things I should know about doing this. I'm a newbie and really have no clue. Any techniques you recommend for prying the board off?
Thanks, Mike
Mike wrote:

Just rip it out.
Use a claw hammer to get any remaining nails out (if its nailed down of course). Clear the mess up and then replace the wood.
Thats it.
--

Gavsta.

Thanks. Just needed a sanity check.
Mike wrote:

Heh,
No problem, I had to do the same sort of job last year. Spent half a day dithering about andf then just went for it.
No worries!
--
Gavsta.

<< I'm just looking for any tips or obvious things I should know about doing this. >>
Don't just butcher it out, use a little finesse and save yourself some hassles. A pro carpenter does it this way: rent or buy a saber (jig) saw. Grind or break off a blade so that it will cut just the thickness of the plywood. Look for the nail patterns indicating joist location. Make a couple of parallel cuts at the center of the joists, then two right angle cuts at the ends of those. Lift out the square of plywood and then plan and execute further cuts in this fashion until you have the entire bad area removed. Your final cuts need to be straight and centered over supporting joist. You will need to glue or nail in bridging members as necessary so that all four edges of the new plywood are supported. Sounds complicated, but in reality it will take you under an hour. HTH
Joe