Replace a starter cord.

I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I change a broken starter cord?
Norb Solarz wrote:

but it would be pretty toughto explain in words. Did you look for general instructions anywhere else, like YouTube? I assume the critical part of the process is essentially the same for everypull-start engine.
Bill
Bill wrote:

it from unreeling. So 1. "wind the spool", 2. tieit down, 3. thread your cord, 4. release tension on the spooland let it take up the rope. 5. Re-do if the length or cord-tension is not appropriate. Allow yourself 30 minutes the first time, and maybe10 minutes the next time. Good luck!
Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02OobT7fII

Norb Solarz;3113566 Wrote: >

> change a broken starter cord?

My understanding is that the recoil starter is held on to the motor housing with three screws. You simply remove those three screws and take the recoil starter down to any small engine repair shop and they will replace the cord on it for you there while you wait. Then you simply reinstall the recoil starter.
--
nestork

message

Had the same problem. It looks more difficult than it actually is. MLD

I find that there's a certain wisdom in knowing when NOT to do it yourself.
If, in all liklihood, you'll have completely forgotten how to do something by the time you'll next need to do it, it doesn't make a lot of sense learning how to do it yourself. Cuz then you'll be going through TWICE the frustration and aggrivation which all new DIY projects are so full of.
In those instances, I'm a great advocate of taking the recoil starter housing down to the small engine repair shop, buying all the new parts need there and having the nice man behind the counter put everything back together for you free of charge.
Hard core DIY'ers call that "cheating". I call it an "aggrivation minimization decision".
--
nestork