repairing wooden gate hinges

Page 2 of 2
On 04/05/2011 05:36 PM, aemeijers wrote:

you mean something like this?
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On 04/05/2011 01:06 PM, Heathcliff wrote:

I know they're for vinyl hardware, would they work better? http://www.hooverfence.com/vinyl/hardware/nw38951n.htm http://www.hooverfence.com/vinyl/hardware/NWSS-HD-SC.htm http://www.hooverfence.com/vinyl/hardware/HBH1SC.htm
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

I used to be a steel erection contractor, and repaired a lot of gates of all types. Your hinges are lighter than you need, or you should add a couple of those same types. But, they anchor close to the edge, and the wood can split out easily. If you get hinges with the holes farther back, you can put bigger fasteners in. Use pilot holes.
Put a diagonal aircraft cable banjo string on it to help keep the weight from deforming the gate, or kids leaning on it. It does have a diagonal wood one right now, but they don't work very well. You need to make that post as substantial as you can. In one of the pictures, it is clearly visible that you could have put much longer hinges on there, and perhaps even drilled through, and put carriage bolts with nuts. Where you can, install the L brackets, just to add stability and strength to your gate.
Go look for some "strap" hinges, some of which have an Early American blacksmith made look, and are snazzy. And talking about snazzy, dude, paint it while you have it off.
Good luck.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On 04/06/2011 06:49 PM, Steve B wrote:

L brackets at the corners?
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

I said, "where you can". They look best on inside corners. They are inexpensive and give the gate a lot more rigidity and strength.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
On 04/05/2011 10:55 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

to those who have responded on fixing this gate. thanx
I've a question for those who've built gates that I'm curious about.
would you have built the gate as is in the pics or would you have built it differently? if so, how differently?