Repair or replace

Page 2 of 2
Steve Barker wrote:

It's the Gillette business model: Give away the razor and sell the blades.
In your case, I recommend refilling the cartridges. We just bought a set of refillable cartridges (six) for $13 from an Ebay seller. Even if you DON'T refill them, the initial charge of ink (included) is still way cheaper than OEM replacement cartridges.
On 3/28/2011 5:48 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I prefer to use the genuine HP ink. Its why i use an HP printer. On the occasions i print color, i don't need any cheap assed wanna be ink in my printer. I refilled back in the day, and all i can say is "BTDT". no thanks.
--
Steve Barker
On 3/26/2011 11:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What kind of ballast did either light have? I'll make a SWAG that the heavy copper wire ballast will now be more costly than an electronic switching ballast with small light transformers. At one time electronic ballasts were more expensive than boat anchor ballasts.
TDD
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:53:38 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

was thinking about getting a new head for my electric razor. new head is $28. new razor is $32

I service roll laminators for a living around pittsburgh. They put plastic on paper think menus.
I try to buy junk GBC ultimate 65 laminators to use for parts. The machines retail street price is 1500 bucks
Rollers at 500 bucks each, for 4 and other parts like main board make repairing them expensive. GBCs profit center must be parts a 6 bucks circuit breaker from digi key is sold by GBC for about 30 bucks.
Of course their labor rate just went up again to $250 to $300 bucks for the first hour:(
Some companies dont want people to fix stuff there must be tremendous big bucks in importing china and korean made products
On 3/26/2011 21:53, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Rubbermaid uses economy of scale by packaging complete mailbox assemblies and shipping them to retailers through an established distribution network. Replacement parts are a deviation from the norm, and prices reflect the increased cost of maintaining a supply of replacement parts and specially delivering them to the consumer.

The difference between this example and that of the mailbox is that the bulb is a consumable item. Otherwise the same pricing principles apply.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:53:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The stuff is crap and cheap to make - the cost is all in maintaining the inventory, and it costs about as much to hold the parts as it does the complete item.