Removing water ring on varnished furniture

Does anyone have a method that they have actually successfully used to remove a water ring from a dining room server with a varnished surface. I want to try it after I am sure the surface has fully dried out. It is a fairly faint ring, but I would like to get rid of it as the furniture was a wedding present 50 years ago.

http://www.finishing.com/102/75.shtml
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:36:41 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Dab the ring with mayonnaise/paper towel - lightly. Let it set awhile.
Mayo will pull/put moisture in/out of the ring . YMMV!
Do nothing.
The water is still under the varnish. It will eventually evaporate.
Thomas.

Excellent advice. Next time you feel like posting, follow it. =:O

Actually, it is good advice. I have had rings appear on table because of heat, and have done nothing, only to have them disappear over time.

I rubbed the area lightly with low-fat mayonaisse (sp?) and it disappeared. DId this 24 hours ago and it hasn't reappeared. Thanx to everyone for their suggestions.