Removing split system aircon

Hello,im looking at buying a 2nd hand split system air conditioner off a mate of mine.The unit is still in the house,and im wondering if i can remove it by just letting the gas escape and take the unit out or do i have to get a service man to do the job?.Will it damage the unit if i let the gas out and have it replaced when i have it installed in my home?. Cheers,Paul
snipped-for-privacy@dodo.com.au wrote:

I don't know what the regulations are in Oz, but here in the States you could pay a hefty environmental protection fine for 'letting the gas escape'. Don't you have enough skin cancer there already from the ozone hole?
And yes, it will damage the unit if you leave it open to the atmosphere.
Call a service person.

Ozzyland has a version of the EPA there..
Carolina Breeze HVAC wrote:

After 24 years of slip! slop! slap!you'd think every Aussie would know about the ozone hole problem, eh? http://www.cancer.org.au
"One of the most successful health campaigns in Australias history was launched in 1981, when a cheerful seagull in board shorts, t-shirt and hat tap-danced his way across our TV screens singing a jingle that you just couldnt get out of your head:
Slip, Slop, Slap! It sounds like a breeze when you say it like that Slip, Slop, Slap! In the sun we always say "Slip Slop Slap!"
Slip, Slop, Slap! Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat, Slip, Slop, Slap! You can stop skin cancer - say: "Slip, Slop, Slap!"
The Slip Slop Slap slogan has become institutionalised, as the core message of The Cancer Councils SunSmart program for schools and local communities."
Travis Jordan wrote:

OK OK point taken,i`ll get a service man out there.I thought this new gas they use was `ozone friendly `.Thanks for the info.
snipped-for-privacy@dodo.com.au wrote:

Thank you for being a good sport, mate!
My wife and I love your country, especially the Atherton Tablelands.
Stay safe.