Removing old lockset

I have an old front door with a lockset that I can't for the life of me get out.

It's an old Schlage - could date back 15 years or even more. It has the key-in-knob lock.

The inside knob came off easily enough. But the outside knob will not come off.

There's some sort of interlock between the latch (the part that engages the door frame) and the square shaft that joins the knobs.

There's no apparent release mechanism, no visible screws, pins, etc. holding it together.

The latch part will come out about 1/8" before it stops.

The outside knob will come out about 3/16" before it stops.

And the guts that the inside knob was attached to come out about 3/16" before they stop.

After that it all seems to hit some kind of pin/interlock and nothing will come out any further.

I could drill it out, but that would create a huge mess of filings. I'd rather find a way to get it out sanely....

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@NsOeSiPnAeMr.com (CptDondo) writes: | I have an old front door with a lockset that I can't for the life of me | get out. | | It's an old Schlage - could date back 15 years or even more. It has the | key-in-knob lock. | | The inside knob came off easily enough. But the outside knob will not | come off.

Did the inside knob have a spring catch that you released by pushing a pin through a hole? Is there a similar hole on the outside knob? If so you should try pushing the release with the key at 180 (or possibly

90) degrees.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I think I know what you have. Under the inside knob is the decorative round plate (the part against the door itself). You need to pop off that tin plate. Under it are the screws that hold the locket to the door. That plate is just press fit (by hand) onto the lockset. See if you can pry that off. Use a screwdriver or even a butter knife. Pry against the door and behind that plate. Use a small piece of cardboard against the door to prevent damaging the wood.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Remove inside knob (you have already done that) There is thin shell "rose" that is covering up the through-the-door screws that hold the two halves together. You do not need to remove the outside handle. Once you remove the through bolts, the inside and outside pieces come right off. There are usually 2 screws holding the strike in the edge of the door. Once those screws are out it should pull out. Sometimes all of the above can be compounded by multiple layers of paint, etc.

The "rose" can be difficult to pop off. Look around the perimeter, there should be a very small slot where it touches the door that can allow you to use a very small screwdriver to pop it off.

Reply to
DanG

The outside knob does not come off. It is permantly attached to the rest of the mechanism. When you remove the outside knob, all the guts of the lock come with it. Therefore, figure out what's holding the main mechanical parts to the door.

Reply to
HeyBub