Removing cast iron tub

I'm considering purchasing a second home with the intent to rent. The wiring has been upgraded to 200amp with breakers. The home is old but appears to be in very good shape. The wiring job was recent but the elec. left the old wiring intact (not live) - only visible in the open basement - ceramic / wires. Should this not have been removed? Anything to worry about?
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

Sorry - the tub was to be my second question. In the potential home the tub was obviously placed in the washroom before the room was studded out. Not an uncommon thing around here. It has to be removed from the room. Is it feasible to break it up? cut it up or am I better off knocking out a wall.
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca writes:

No and no.

I've seen this on a remodel show. Just hit it with a big hammer until it breaks. I believe it has some scrap value.
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:16:20 -0500, Dan Espen

I had the same problem. Here's my solution: Get a few heavy sledge hammers a few friends and a few six-packs. Pretend the tub is your boss.

Sledge hammer will break it if you don't see any value in keeping it whole.
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
On 3 Dec 2006 12:01:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

I have an old claw foot tub in my bathroom. I thought it might have been installed before the wall was put in but my plumber told me that the paws unscrew, and that the tub could easily be moved out and down the stairs. There is a market for them around here.
Chris

Easily? (Yeah, right) You obviously haven't moved a full-size, cast iron bathtub.
I moved my sister's beloved POS cast iron tub to her "new" home a few years ago. I told her it would be the LAST time I would do so. I would cheerfully volunteer for sledgehammer duty, though. (pay back)

Unless the tub is in PERFECT condition (no chipped enamel, etc), its value is probably limited to scrap, and that value is probably less than the effort needed to get it to Sanford and Son's yard.
When it comes to house resale, a cast iron bathtub is "right up there" with an old, upright piano: The house sale is contingent upon that the tub and piano STAY.
--
:)
JR

No project too small
Jim Redelfs wrote:

Well...sorta. Stay if I am selling. Go for sure if I am buying.
Harry K
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:38:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mcgill.ca wrote:

I had a big beautiful desk, like some tycoon would use, but before i got it, someone painted it glossy white and cut 6 inches off each leg. Because he didn't know the top comes off.

snipped-for-privacy@nf.sympatico.ca wrote:

It's always a good idea to remove any non-working wiring. The previous owner probably told him the electrician to forget about removing it to save himself some money. You should _definitely_ verify that _none_ of the old wiring is live. You'd be surprised how many times wiring has been upgraded and a couple of circuits from the old system remain in use.

Sledgehammer and have at it. Wear eye protection.

Ear protection as well.
remove all traces of old wiring, and check entire home to confirm theres none live.
often people try disquising their K&T is gone, when really stuff in the wall is still active.
check receptables and lights to confirm boxes and grounds are in and working.......
Cliff Hartle wrote:

Draping it with blankets or tarps will cut down on the shrapnel.
Harry K

2 questions for the price of 1.
1. No problem with leaving the 'abandoned' wiring in place, unless of course removing it was in the contract with the electrician.
2. A cast iron tub can be broken up relatively quickly with a sledge hammer. If it is of no value, you might want to break it up even if an opening is available, since those CI tubs are HEAVY. OTOH, if a new tub is replacing it, and a wall has to be opened up anyway....
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.