Cast Iron Tub removal

Anyone got any idea how to remove a cast iron tub. I really don't care if it comes out in one piece or not. Looks pretty heavy. If I have to break it up, what's the best way to do it.

Thanks,

ELY

Reply to
Old Boat

Saftey glasses and a sledge hammer and go to town.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Hearing protection, safety glasses, work gloves, and the heaviest sledgehammer or pick-ax you can swing.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

As others have said, a heavy sledge hammer. Be aware the shrapnel coming off that tub can be sharp and dangerous. Throw an old blanket, paint tarp, bed sheet, or some such in the tub to slow down flying debris.

I'm sure you will swing at this thing a time or two and swear it isn't going to break. Have faith, when you hit it hard enough it will shatter like a piece of glass.

Reply to
DanG

sledgehammer , take lots of breaks

"Old Boat" wrote:

xcomes out in one piece or not. Looks pretty heavy. If I have to break it up, pwhat's the best way to do it.@nThanks,3.ELY

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

We used to bust up cast iron pipe joints with a sledge. I suppose you could do the same with a tub. Just wear eye and ear protection. Maybe even a full face shield, hey a motorcycle helmet :) Once you get it to crack should be easy enough to chip it away. Oh and watch your other ceramic fixtures like your sink or toilet and mirrors/windows/light fixtures.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Others answered the break it up how question -- I'd simply point out if it is by any chance an old claw foot or other really old one you might want to check w/ the old-house rejuvenation folks as some of these are now in demand and may have significant enough value to make the effort of removing it rather than destroying it worthwhile. That's more likely in larger metro areas, of course...

--

Reply to
dpb

What all have said is so right but have you ever thought of a roto hammer with the right bit.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Thanks for the advice guys, I kind of figured that was what I had to do. No never thought of a roto hammer. Will cover everything up and see what happens. It is not a claw foot tub, just a narrow one that is standard length that was avocado green. Its got to go.

LJ

Reply to
Old Boat

All you guys wanting to break it up forget one thing...tubs are small enough to go through any door (sideways), and with the help of friends can be manhandled out and down steps to the curb. Check a tool rental place for stuff that movers use on heavy objects in case the route takes you past an oriental carpet. A couple of months ago SWMBO and I did exactly that in our rehab project. We elected to take the hulk to the recycle yard and with help of our trusty car service jack, rolled it down the side walk and into the pickup truck bed. IIRC, we got something like $15 for 258 lbs. Could have made more, but it was only a 4 1/2 foot long tub. No fuss, no muss, and much less work. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Avocado green? Wow, can I have it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sure come help me take it out, one thing though, I had it painted white :)

Reply to
Old_Boat

I was told (haven't tried it) that if you hit them with a sledge, they'll break right up.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

I just did this last month-- took out a c.1957 cast iron 5' alcove tub. It would have fit through the door easily, but we couldn't get it free from the nailing flange and the floor without damaging the framing, so I beat the hell out of it with a 25# sledge. It was actually much harder to break than I expected...in the end I managed to cave in the top of each side, then crack it down to the bottom. It came out in three pieces: two ends w/half side attached, and the bottom. Plus a LOT of shards. I hauled the whole mess to the local scrap yard and they took it for free, which was much better than paying to dump it.

I retiled and replaced the tub with a cheap steel Boatz from the Borg. Of all the major projects we've done on our house, this was by far the biggest bang for the buck. Wish I'd done it years ago.

-kiwanda

Reply to
Kiwanda

In reality, it's easier with the hammer. It took me about 10 minutes to break it up into handleable chunks, and another ten to haul them to the van. No heavy lifting.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

True, but getting the tub OUT is nearly impossible.

Remember, the tub is put in place first and the house built around it.

Tile, molding, plumbing, door jambs, etc., have to be removed to get the sucker out in one piece, so you have to destroy a bunch of stuff to salvage that which will discarded.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Michael B

The pick axe idea worked great. It broke up like a piece of glass. Took about a half hour to get it out and another hour to clean up the place. Thanks guys.

LJ

Reply to
Old Boat

Been there, done that. Second on the excessive ear and eye protection, it makes a hell of a racket and you do get some flying chips.

Reply to
Pete C.