Removing Carrier outside panels

Page 3 of 4

What's interesting (in the midst of this little love-fest) is this: In my previous house, I had a really ancient furnace (eventually replaced), and the HVAC guy I used often asked me (over the phone) to try a couple of not-too-involved things on my own when there were problems. If these suggestions didn't work, one of his people would come over and take care of it.
Result: If anyone asked me who I used for HVAC work, I would NOT tell them. Rather, I would write down the guy's name and stick the piece of paper in the person's hand, to make sure they remembered, and tell them they were nuts if they went anywhere else.
If someone saves me money when they feel it's appropriate, I send the money right back to them one way or another. That's how businesses are built.

m/398461006gSRGXc
message

I'm assuming that it's gonna need more than what little I can do to it.
This unit came with the house I bought last September. Previously, I used an HVAC contractor that was terrific, but when there were problems with the furnace (2 year old Goodman high-E), I called the name on the sticker because the thing's still under warranty. The guy did NOT inspire confidence, to put it politely. I didn't even give him the chance to come over - I called my previous contractor, who, after looking at the installation, said "Holy shit....". $150.00 later, some fine points of installation were straightened out.
I *like* supporting these people, and normally don't mind paying whatever is necessary because they do excellent work, and employ great people. But, money's ridiculously tight at the moment, so if I can save even the smallest amount of labor $$$, it'll help. On the other hand, I know when I'm about to get into something that's beyond my abilities.
Doug:
don't pay some jack-leg $72!!!!!!
go to your local Johnstone Supply (in the white pages)
ask for a gallon of purple Alki-Foam (the #1 selling foaming lye-based coil cleaner in the world) about $8 or so
put in plastic squirt bottle (1:1 ratio, i.e. 1/2 water, 1/2 purple stuff) always add purple stuff to water, not vice-versa
set breaker near unit to OFF position
while wearing gloves & goggles for safety, spray liberally into coil all over, take it slow & thorough this is bad stuff, don't get in skin or eyes (it is essentially oven cleaner)
wait 5 minutes, it will foam up during this time
spray off thoroughly with garden hose with sprayer attachment
turn breaker back on
enjoy lower utility bill!
S.F.
Are you aware that Johnstone has a list of requirements before purchasing? And what those requirements are?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon wrote:

    Johnstone in Phoenix will sell to ANYONE. Even you, Stormy.

Few people realize Johnstones Supply is a cooperative, with locally owned stores and a corporate headquarters. The local stores set their own policies.
The Phoenix Home Owners Association thanks you for posting your little tidbit on the local Johnstones.
snipped-for-privacy@johnstoned.com wrote:

    Not exactly a well-kept secret. I have read about it on Phoenix General sveral times and it is frequently mentioned in Freecycle. You will have trouble finding someone here who doesn't know about it.

This is Turtle
WOW , Here in area at Lake Charles , Louisiana , the Johnstone Supply sells York there and where i get a York if i please. You hear that Steve the Sea Weed ! They will sell York to any body that is a dealer in the HVAC business. Hey , stop that now sea weed with your Pull boy.
TURTLE

If it is just oven cleaner, then it would be easier and cheaper to go to Wal-Mart and get some Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. It foams up nicely, and one can should be just the right amount to clean a coil.

And after 5 min, he wont have to worry about that pesky coil getting dirty again..

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

I heard they're married. :-)
Hope not to each other.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Bob Loblaw posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

--

Tekkie

message

This is Turtle.
Look Stevey Wonder , Stormy was expressing his thoughts on the answers that are give to poster and was not advicing anybody on anything. Then you come out with a Super lesson on your great ability on charging systems and call Stormy a Stupid Moron , tell him to FUCK OFF , and then you say your not impolite at all.
Do you really have to put somebody down to make the people listen to you or could you just speak for yourself and not others and still expect people to listen to you.
TURTLE

REad again Terry the Turtle...i said I was impolite and I know it.

Mailbox says someones listening.....and I still dont care what you the hack in LA thinks. Thanks for playing...