remote controlled timer

Just installed recirulating pump for the hot water. Living alone, I just want to run it a few minutes (determining that now) before I take a shower. Kitchen sink is very close to water heater, so no concern there.
I am thinking of using something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-15-Amp-60-Minute-In-Wall-Spring-Wound-Stainless-Steel-Timer-49825/204209977
Living alone, that is no problem, but I would have to go into the garage each time.
Anyone know of a count down timer, 110 volt, that can be controlled remotely via a, hopefully, low voltage switch? Such a switch could be mounted in the bathroom, leaving the timer in the garage.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 04:30:59 -0700, "taxed and spent"

Belkin makes a timer called a WeMo Switch. It is a plug in timer which can be controlled remotely by a smart phone and can be used as a count down timer.

This looks interesting. thanks.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 06:30:59 -0500, taxed and spent

Allied Electronics has all sorts of timers. http://www.alliedelec.com/ It sounds like you want a time delay off.

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 7:31:02 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

I have no idea if these work or how much they cost, but they look pretty cool (no pun intended)
Per the website:
"Turning on any hot water faucet for 1 second, then off will start the system. In 30 to 45 seconds hot water will be waiting for you when you turn the faucet back on."
http://www.fasterhotwater.com/WaterQuick%20Pro.shtml
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 9:17:43 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was thinking along those lines too, ie there are pumps made for this purpose, ones that go under the sink where you want the hot water, so they can have an activation button right there. Some work on timers together with a thermostat, so it keeps hot water at the faucet during periods when you're likely to want it.
If he's got this installed already, I would think an RF controlled power controlled widget would allow it to be turned on and off without going into the garage. There is X10 type stuff. As you and I know, it's not the most reliable, but for this kind of thing, it might be adequate. If not, I'm sure there are other, better quality solutions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-TM751-Wireless-RF-Transceiver-W-Controlled-Appliance-Outlet-Factory-Fresh-/400299909792
http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-KR19A-Keychain-Remote-Control-NEW-IN-BOX-FREE-SHIPPING-EXTRA-BATTERY-/282003968383?hash=item41a8bf117f:g:Y2UAAOSwP~tW5ib-
For what he's doing, it's not using X10. The transceiver has one outlet on it and he can just plug the pump into it. That would give him the ability to control it remotely, but not the automatic timed off action that he wants.

I don't want a time of day timer, as only the shower is far from the water heater and my schedule is erratic.

yep, auto timed off is key.
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 10:13:06 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

I take it running 120V between the bathroom and the garage is a problem? If so, you can use a relay in a box type product at the water heater, then run 24V wiring to that mechanical timer you showed.
http://www.functionaldevices.com/building-automation/pilot.php
You can wire the relay directly to the pump, or if it has a plug, wire the relay to a receptacle that it will control and then plug in the pump.

interesting, and I will keep it in mind. Too expensive for my needs though, and this would turn on the pump when it is not needed, like when filling the washing machine which is close to the water heater.
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 7:31:02 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

What about using a inexpensive thermostat to control a relay to apply power to the pump? You wouldn't even need the timer.
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-TH1100DV1000-PRO-1000-Non-Programmable-Heat-Only-Vertical-Thermostat?gclid=CObJ8tClmMwCFc5Zhgod2DsC7A
Set the temp point so low that the thermostat will always call for heat. Once you know how long it takes to get hot water to the shower, you would simply slide the control to "Heat" to start the pump, wait the required time and then turn it off.

manually turn it off? That is missing the whole point.
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 10:13:06 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

Yes, but how hard is that? It was just a suggestion.
I looked at this way: You are in the bathroom. You slide the switch to on, you get undressed, put your shower cap on, grab your rubber ducky and back scrubber and then slide the switch off.
Again, it was just a suggestion. Feel free to pass on it.
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/3c63183d6a0546d8935bcdf6c5f42efd/man-in-the-shower-with-large-rubber-duckie-and-back-scrubber-c30x1c.jpg