remodel without a truck?

Page 1 of 2

We're planning on doing a remodel involving a new wall and hand-built shower stall with a budget of around $2,000 for materials. The problem is, that we don't have a truck and I don't want to bother anyone to borrow theirs for all the drywall, studs and tile we're buying.
Is there any solution to this? I've seen that HD will actually rent out trucks for like $20/hr, but it looks like a hassle and I don't want to be responsible for their under maintained fleet vehicle, even if only for an hour.
Do you see any obvious solution?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I thought HD and Lowes delivered? maybe no more...
You could figure the price differential for going to a regular lumber yard that delivers- 84 lumber, whatever is around. The lumber will be better, as well.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes. Either bother someone to borrow their truck or rent the HD under maintained fleet or buy materials from a dealer that delivers.
If you're buying the stuff from HD, have them deliver it

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

--
Grandpa

You can rent U-Hauls smallest trucks for what....thirty bucks a day? Don't buy their insurance, but check your car policy to see if it covers rental vehicles.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Avoid U-Haul if at all possible. Their fleet usually is in worse shape than Depot's. Budget usually is reliable and has very new and well maintained trucks.
Pete C.

Maybe, but we don't know how far he has to travel from his home to the store. U-Haul trucks may be in ratty shape, but I don't see many of them on the side of the road.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I don't see many rental trucks on the side of the road either, but when I do it seems it's usually a U-Haul and one of the van based ones. Can't remember ever seeing one of the Internationals or similar medium duty truck from Budget or Rollins or Penskee or whoever on the side of the road.
Pete C.
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:26:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I don't think uhaul trucks are bad, but I don't think one can judge anything by what he sees on the side of the road. I only see a car or truck on the side maybe every 2 weeks, and I know there are thousands that break down in that same time. It's just not a good sample.
mm wrote:

In 2005 a canadian investigative journalism TV show ("W5" if you're interested) did an investigation into UHaul.
They rented 13 trucks in 4 cities, and all of them failed safety inspections at 3rd party garages. Worn out brakes (metal-on-metal in one case), loose steering, broken seatbelts, etc. In 2006 they rented 9 trucks, and 7 of them failed inspection.
Apparantly UHaul's incidence of truck problems is 5x the industry average.
I've sworn off UHaul.
Chris
Very good point about the trailer. I've got a good buddy with four kids who lives out in the boonies just outside of Valley Center, KS. He went out and got a mini-van after having a fourth child about 8 years ago, then picked up a 4x8 or so hand-made trailer. The van's even got trailer light hookups, go figure.
he takes that thing all over the place, he gets firewood, building materials...hell, he even came and picked up my old olympic sized weightbench with that beast. I was impressed at how much it would hold, especially when he told me that he's got a 4x8 1/2" OSB that he throws on the top that he can lock when they're going on vacation. Beats the snot out of one of those car-top deals and holds a LOT more.
for some reason, ford mounted a rear valance of my 2004 Mustang GT in such a way that welding a hitch on would be, interesting, to say the least. I'd have to cut out a lot of ABS and fiberglass just to get to the frame.... or I wouldn't be asking the question, i'd be borrowing a buddy's trailer.
I think I've got it worked out guys, delivery ain't that bad. Thanks again!
says...

I've been on the side of the road with one. Trust me, it's no fun.
--
Keith

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

Plan ahead and rent a truck? Budget usually seems to have the best trucks, U-Haul usually has the worst. When I moved I needed to rent a truck with a lift gate to move stuff from several locations to the semi doing the actual move. Budget came through with a big International 4300 with 24' box and lift gate with a couple thousand miles on it i.e. practically new at a good rate. It lined up nicely with the semi for palette jacking stuff between the two.
Pete C.

An obvious result......
http://www.allowe.com/images/overloaded%20car%20roof.jpg

Here's what we did. We remodeled a lot. Three rooms. We did make trips to the dump, as I have a pickup.
BUT, the trashmen picked up a lot of it. You just have to cut it up in small pieces and put it out a little at a time. Being out there when they come with some bottles of water or some cold sodas works wonders, too. One day, we had a bunch of cabinets, and drywall and studs, and they backed the truck into the driveway and took it all.
May or may not work where you live depending on your refuse hauler.
Steve
Duh. I was addressing waste. For delivery, just buy from someone who delivers.
Steve

Thanks fellas. IIRC, Lowe's does deliver for $50 here.
Re the waste issue... I live in KS where waste laws aren't too bad, so I just drop stuff off in ditches out in the country when I can. kidding.
Actually, I just finished chopping up a couch into trash can sized pieces with an axe, a sawzall and a die grinder a few weekends ago. We actually threw out the kitchen sink last weekend, got a kick out of that. gotta start on a twin sized mattress next.
What it boils down to, as far as waste goes, is that almost everything has salvage value. For example, we replaced all the trim in the house with newer white stuff. Rather than go out and buy shoe molding to match, we took the old 2.5" casing and set the table saw up at 3/4", and ripped out perfect shoe.... now I just gotta paint it.
Find someone who's finishing a basement, they can use all kinds of stuff that you were gonna throw out. A buddy is using my laminate scrap to make a downstairs wet bar, another is using my old kitchen faucet on his bar.... not too mention that they took all of my old light colored flat latex opened gallons to use as primer for their fresh drywall.
Just a little thing we like to do, especially because we're broke. Thank goodness for the Mennonite Housing folks, they put 8 families together and have them build each others 8 houses together, so they're all real good at a few things by the time they finish, then you just gotta track down the fella who did Stairs, for example or Plumbing and they can tell you whatever you need to know, or they'll come by and help you out for a few beers or do the whole job for $20 hour or so.
:Actually, I just finished chopping up a couch into trash can sized :pieces with an axe, a sawzall and a die grinder a few weekends ago. I tried doing this, but gave up. I do have an axe but no sawzall and what's a die grinder? I tried to disassemble it, but didn't get too far. I called the city, who does a once a year pickup of large items and they wouldn't waive me in spite of the fact I've only called them once. It happened to be in 2006. So, they said I can schedule after the first of the year. As of Monday, I call call them and have them haul away the used-to-be couch on my front porch!
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) says...

You could always just call your garbage company and have them deliver a dumpster. they come in various sizes, from 5 cubic yards to 25 cubic yards, with various prices. I remodelled a couple of years ago, which meant I had to clean out the house, which meant I had to clean out the barn. My wife and I filled six 25 cubic yard dumpsters, we sold two van loads of furniture to a second hand dealer, and I hauled several pickup loads of good junk to Goodwill and Salvation Army.
Farms do tend to accumulate stuff. Quite a bit of the dumpster stuff was left over from the previous owner. When we moved out of our last place, we parked a dumpster next to the house and the moving van in the driveway. To load the van, you had to carry it past the dumpster. Anyone who helped got dumpster diving privileges.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.