Remaining Propane In Hand-held Bernzomatic Torch ?

Page 2 of 3
On 12/7/2013 11:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Can't say as I remember ever hearing the FD called to a picnic table fire. Do you have an online link?
Sounds like fun.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Who needs an online link. I've had it happen. Didn't need the fire department - just a pail of river water. - didn't actually flame, but charred about 1/4 inch deep. In Algonquin Park.

I got a grill I bough at rite aid for $20 I use frequently. It's even got Thermometer. Been using It at camp, but it's been around. If I saw it again, I would buy it, especially at $20. Sometimes you find amazing deals.
I also have a Coleman grill plate, not as useful. Another cheap propane two burner stove I keep as spare. Also a Coleman liquid gas two burner stove, I used mostly when we camped in tents.
Greg

I usually shake the tank. Works for me.
That grill I bought 4-5 years ago for $20 at rite aid looks similar to this...
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bond-Portable-Gas-Grill/6783840/product.html
Greg
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 21:12:36 -0500, Stormin Mormon

He DID say a portable grill. I've had a couple of those useless 1.5 sq ft (at best) portable grills, and unless it's a high end brand like a Weber they are all useless. Can't keep them lit with the lid closed on most of them.

I've had a few portable grills in the past few decades. I have never had a problem keeping them lit with the lid closed. In fact, the opposite is true. I've had trouble keeping them cool enough with the lid closed. Low is not usually low enough and I sometimes prop the lid open an inch or two to help control the heat.
My current grill is a Sunbeam and I think it's the best I've had.
Useless? When I think back over the countless family picnics, sporting event tailgating sessions, camping trips and lunches in the park with SWMBO, "useless" is not a word I would assign to a portable grill.
My kids come by to borrow mine quite often these days, so as my use of it for them trails off, their direct use of it increases.
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:38:59 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

The Sunbeam and Weber are the only ones I've used that HAVE worked - and the Sunbeam did burn a hole in the picnic table.

I'm not doubting you, but what kind of picnic table?
In all the years I've been using portable grills I've even never scorched a table, let alone burned a hole in one. When I camp I have a couple of wooden cabinets that I made to transport and hold our kitchen stuff. They get put up on stands and then a 2' x 4’ piece of plywood goes across the gap and the grill and stove go on top. The grill has never even scorched the plywood.
On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 00:14:00 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

It was 2X8 pine or spruce - Parks Canada issue - Algonquin Park - Pog Lake Campground if I remember correctly.
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 15:55:02 -0500, Frank

Tare weight IS the empty weight. They weigh 430 grams empty (tare) and 830 grams full
On 12/5/2013 7:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But that is for a tank in them foreign countries. We don't have those gram things here in the US of A. Our gas would weigh in at 14 AMERICAN ounces.

As would the empty tank - making the full tank something awfull close to 28 oz - or 1 3/4 lbs.
On 12/5/2013 7:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've found most products give the net weight. Can't say as I've ever seen a product give the tare weight.
I've found about 12 ounces empty (tare) weight.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yeah, people here get irate when someone posts a dumb and poorly formatted question; which is typical for a GG poster. But still it would be nice to see polite replies.
On 12/5/2013 3:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

torch, probably 35+ years old. Fortunately I have never run out of gas in the middle of an important project, and I do have 3 hardware stores within a five minute drive. But I sometimes do projects late at nite after the stores would be closed, and it would be nice to know when my propane cylinder (~2.75" diameter, 11" long)is about to run out.

be tomorrow or late next year, I don't have a clue how much my present cylinder has been used. Ideas ???

I'd go buy another tank, now. The three bucks you spend, you'll save that much on gasoline, and time. Not having to make a rush run for more. As to the 16 ouncers, empty tank about 12 ounces.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/05/2013 03:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Put the propane tank in the freezer for 30 minutes. Pull it out and start scanning the tank from top to bottom with an infrared thermometer. As the tank warms up, you'll notice the temp changes drastically at the liquid level.
If you don't have an infrared thermometer, now you have a reason to go buy one. And for the love of God, get a spare tank of propane while you're at the store. ;=)
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:51:33 -0500, Emma Genius

+1

Breathe on it. The condensation line will show the level of the liquid inside.

;-)
On 12/5/2013 4:51 PM, Emma Genius wrote:

I wish to nominate this post for the common sense of the week award. And the OP should go ahead and buy a propane cylinder, and get it over with.
--
.
Christopher A. Young