Reliable Studfinder

My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items hung on the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if possible, and hate playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until the tone changes then driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and ear were properly calibrated.
Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor here - this won't be a tool I use that often.
Our walls are sheetrock over wood framing if that helps.
Thanks in advance,
KB

Here's a link http://shopping.msn.com/marketplace.aspx?pmpType=1&pcId 231&catId%54
Zircon makes a good one......Ross
Hi,
Looks interesting.
Anyone know the principle it uses to find em ?
Bob ----------------------------------

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question271.htm

I believe the principle is a capacitve proximity switch....Another poster left a link that will explain....Ross
Kyle Boatright wrote:

Someone here a few days ago mentioned using the little "super magnets"...just going around until they find nails/screws in the sheet rock sheet rock to stick to. He said he then used a standard cheapo stud finder to verify.
My cheapo stud finder wouldn't verify much of anything, gonna try just the magnets next time I have a need. . -- dadiOH ____________________________

hate
calibrated.
here -

By a $20 stud finder. Avoid the magnetic ones - they don't work well (have to be over a nail). I got a real Zircon studfinder after years of playing the find the stud game and it's one of the handiest tools i've ever had. You may think you're only going to use it once, but you'll be surprised after a couple years go by how much you use it.
Camilo