refrigerator icemaker

OK here's the situation:
have a 2 year old frig with door mounted ice/water dispenser. It's not making ice, and when I push the lever for ice/water, I can hear the freezer fan stop, and the light on the dispenser gets dim. IOW it seems something is lagging down the system.
The corkscrew doesn't turn to dispense ice, but I get water from the water dispenser.
Any ideas? Thanks much
on 8/26/2007 6:31 AM wf3h said the following:

Grab your wife's hair dryer and warm the back of the icemaker where the water comes in.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Usually the mechanics for making the ice and delivering the ice out the door are seperate. Are you saying that in addition to the light dimming when you press the ice button, the ice makes is also not making ice?
on 8/26/2007 12:02 PM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net said the following:

I'm not the OP.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Sounds like the corkscrew and maybe more is frozen up. It tries to turn, thus the dimmed lights. Thaw it out and find the real problem. Thaw the ice bin, perhaps it slides right out.

the corkscrew turns freely by hand so that doesn't look locked up. wondering if theres a short somewhere or,perhaps, a fuse...

Not a fuse. If a fuse blew, it would do nothing. Could be a bad motor that drives the auger. That would dim lights as it is drawing current trying to turn. If the auger turns feely by hand, it may even be broken and the other end jammed. You have to take some things apart to see for sure.

had a feeling this might be the case...amazing how quickly equipment breaks down nowadays...
On Aug 26, 11:02 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

it looks like i was mistaken...the ice maker is making ice and filling up the ice box. but the dispenser is not working...sorry about the confusion;
I assume you have emptied the tray and washed it out to ensure there are no cubes jammed in the mechanism causing it not dispense ice. I had a case where the auger had dispensed all the free ice, but the 'jam' of cubes caused a 'tunnel' and the remaining cubes wouldn't drop into the screw.

Ice cube trays.
Open the freezer, and take out the ice bin. Dump the entire bin into a dish tray or other clean container. My guess is you have a bunch of ice clumped together at the bottom of the dispenser. Melt this all out with hot water, and let the dispenser dry (paper towels). Put the bin back in. OK to put clean ice cubes back into the bin, but the snow and clumps of ice at the bottom should be left in the sink to melt away.
--

Christopher A. Young
(Using backup computer. In a couple