refrigerator help needed

Hello. I have an old, but so far faithful, Frigidaire side-by-side, Gemini 200, model # FPCD-200VP.

It seems to be running a little warm. It only has one dial inside, and set on the coldest setting I still get only a 41 F fridge.

Defrost heater is warming up, no ice was found on coils, defrost thermostat seems to be okay, evaporator fan is blowing well, condenser fan too. Compressor cycles on and off. Since the compressor doesn't seem to run more than a normal time period, I am wondering if it isn't the "main" thermostat, or cold control as they are called? Wouldn't the compressor run non stop if it was too weak/low on refrigerant to meet the temp setting I was requesting?

Also where is the best place to find parts for a really old fridge like this? It looks like repairclinic.com might have my part but I have an email in to them to confirm.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian Dors

You can check

or

If you have some sort of historical reason to keep it, pursue a repair. If you are trying to avoid buying a new appliance, you are throwing your money away every month. Old refrigerators take much, very much, more electricity to run than newer models. Savings of $10 to $20 are common and you can get a basic unit for $400. A new side by side is more, of course. Just something to think about before spending a bunch of money for a repair.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No insult intended; when was the last time you cleaned the condenser coils (the one at the back or bottom of the unit)?

Try partselect.com (I think that is the name).

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Checked both of those, thanks.

Reason I'm hoping for a quick fix is because all 3 major appliances are the same harvest gold color, and I don't want to stay in this house very long, and I don't want to move a brand new fridge/stove/dishwasher later. If I must, I will buy a cheap $400 white fridge and deal with it though.

electricity

Reply to
Brian Dors

I don't clean them as much as I should, but I cleaned them a few weeks ago. No insult taken. :)

coils> (the one at the back or bottom of the unit)?

Reply to
Brian Dors

Most likely you have pegged it as a bad cold control. Chance of finding the actual part are slim. I have had good luck buying universal replacement parts at a very reasonable cost. I use a local appliance parts repair supply place for that. It has been a few years but the last cold control I bought was $35-45. Of course there is usually a little field engineering to do with universal parts.

If you don't have one close or can't find one on the web try calling Browns Appliance Parts in Lexington, KY. I don't know if they have a shipping department or not. The area code is 859.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thank you Colby!