Refrigerator compressor

Whenever the compressor on my refrigerator turns off it makes a really loud rattling sound. When I described this to someone somewhat familiar with appliances he said that was the compressor going bad, so I figured I would just live with the noise figuring it would just die and I would replace it. But it has been doing it for several years now and I was wondering if the rattling sound could be made by something loose in their but I wouldn't know what I would be looking for. What could cause this sound? Thanks.

I had one like that. Rattled for about 5 or 6 years. I'm told it is the internal springs on the compressor that are broken and that it has little effect on normal operation, aside from the rattle.
message

i hear your problem, from here it sounds like a whine :) for the $500, replace it and figure you will only have to pay $1 a day for under 2 years to get rid of the rattle and enjoy refrigerated foods. my peeve is the noise on my microprocessor cooler fan. it's just as annoying as the standard tv that works just fine: the frugal shopper in you wishes it would break down so you don't have to extravagantly buy a new replacement hdtv. try removing the refrigerator from the wall, shop vac the dust out from everywhere, determine if you hear the problem rattle coming from the compressor unit itself. then defrost it for 48 hours with its doors open and a 20" window fan blowing on it. install it at the neighbor's house and see if it rattles there. :) -b
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:18:28 -0400, "For example: John Smith"

Make sure it is not just the drip pan under the fridge. They can set up quite a racket

Sounds like a rattling drip pan to me. I had a new GE that did that .Took a while to pin point and finally being able to stop it. But has been quite now for some 13 years.

I think Edwin had it right, broken internal motor mount inside the hermetic compressor shell.Not fixable and not too serious. Get a newer fridge not a new compressor if it's too annoying.