refridgerator stops intermittently

I have been having a problem with my Whirlpool side by side refridgerator model ED25DQXVW.
The refridgerator is approximately 16 years old and recently it has been stopping, and then after a number of hours it begins cooling again. When it is working it cools well. When it goes it goes on after shutting down it may work for days at a time, perhaps up to a week.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem and how I might troublehoot it.
Thanks,
RR
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:09:07 GMT, "Richard Rosell"

Maybe the defrost timer is sticking in the off position? Or the compressor overheating.
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 04:09:07 +0000, Richard Rosell wrote:

After the compressor shut off for about an hour crank the thermostat up and listen for the compressor to start. If it doesn't you might have a problem with the thermostat or defrost circuit. If the compressor tries to start but makes a clicking noise (cycles on overload) then you may have a problem with the compressor electronics. If you don't know how a fridge works, this all can be confusing. Find a blog on the net with some troubleshooting techniques as that may familiarize you better with your fridge than a news group might. www.google.com then search for "repair refrigerator."
When did you last time took back cover off and vacuum the garbage that accumulates on condenser
Tony

A worn door gasket can increase defrost time

defrost timer