refinishing a pine floor

I have recently bought a house that is more akin to Tom Hanks's "Money Pit" than an actual, livable house. However, the renovation is progressing slowly (I'm doing it on my spare time) but surely and recently we've discovered that the carpet in the dining room is covering a pine floor. I haven't yet pulled up the carpet except at the edges, but what I can see looks to be in pretty decent shape, though the last person to "renovate" the house, sprayed paint all over the place, including the floors.
My question is this: I'm willing to sand this floor down and try to refinish it, but since it's pine I want some sort of finish that's VERY durable. I was thinking of the "gym floor" type of finish, but don't know what the stuff is called. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Pine finished with shellac was the standard for YEARS prior to development of varnishes. Shellac is an EASY finish to repair if damaged as each coat melds into previous making one coat on the floor. Dries very quickly and minimal odors compared to some others. If you decide you don't like it easy to remove with denatured alcohol and if dewaxed shellac is used anything can be used to topcoat it. Zinsser's Seal Coat is dewaxed and off the shelf at box stores. Varnishes, polyurethane is one, are nowhere as easy to repair as shellac!

I like shellac and agree any finish on pine should be easy to repair. However, shellac will waterspot. I am in a similar position and decided to go with waterlox http://www.waterlox.com/ Somewhat pricey but will be worth it if it lives up to the claims. I have the materials but have not yet finished the floor so I cannot offer any specifics. Just throwing it out as another option.
Taunton Publishing put out a chart rating many finishes for a variety of things and rates dewaxed shellac as "Good" for moisture resistance. They publish Fine Woodworking and many other class magazines.
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:06:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nono.net wrote:

Just remember that Pine is a Softwood. It makes for a beautifull floor. I have pine floors here in my house. If you roll something heavy accross it, there will be an indentation. The only time this happend to me was when we rolled the big TV out from the wall. My floor is refinished with polyurethane. Give it a go.