Refinish butcherblock table question

I've got a good oak butcherblock dining table I want to refinish. Is there anything special to avoid, or do, with butcherblock versus regular wood stripping / refinishing?
It only has the original finish on it, which I need to strip.
I'm thinking that lighlty sanding it to "open up" the existing coating would be good before applying stripping chemical. Right?
What stripper works best in terms of getting the most old coating off without affecting the glued wood?
Thanks
Is it something used as a table or is it really used as a butcher's block ? I don't think you sand before using stripper but it's been a long time. Personally if the wood is think I'd use just the sanding approach to avoid chemicals getting to the glue.

It's a dining table, no chopping or food preparation on its surface.