Refinish Fireplace

Hi, I want to refinish my fireplace and mantle. Currently the fireplace is original with red brick facing. I am thinking of tiling the face of the fireplace with a ceramic or marble tile. My question is can I do this? Can I put morter cement over the brick face to adhere the tiles? If so, does it have to be a special compound due to heat from the fireplace, or regular tile mortar/cement? As well, should I go with

12x12 tiles or the smaller 4x4 tiles? What would be more appropriate for the face?

Thanks, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny

In my enclosed gas fireplace, the outside 12x12 marble tile was cool to touch,

Reply to
Karen