Redoing door

I have one of those front doors that looks like wood but kinda feels like some sort of plastic. It's also quite light and there are a lot of them around on other houses. What exactly is this door made of? Also, I'd like to change the color of it but it doesn't look like it's strippable - so I plan on priming it and painting it. Crazy idea or unbelievably good idea?
I hope I've explained clearly what I mean.
Paul

To a good approximation it's made from PAPER.
It has just enough of some kind of plastic resin to give it some wet strength and, maybe a skeleton frame of pine or cheap hardwood to hold hardware.

like
I guess that sounds right. Rather than 'plastic', I meant to say 'fiberglass'ish, with a textured feel. Can I paint it?

Yep!
I had some folding doors to the kitchen from that stuff. The "good" side had a fake wood grain and the "bad" side was smooth. Painted both sides with no problem. I used a brush and sort of worked the paint.

Probably fiberglass. Most people paint them.

like