recycling tv's etc.

Page 2 of 4

mm wrote:

As long as the dumps don't leach into the water table that's true.

It's a con.
Ppl are in the future going to have to effectively *pay* for them to be recycled simply because there is nothing much worth recycling !
It's started in Europe already. Expect prices of consumer electronics to rise ~ 10%.
Graham
p.s. nesgroups aren't here for ppl to email you. You're meant to come back to read the replies and comment otherwise the purpose of them is lost.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 04:25:14 +0100, Eeyore

I know. The sig is only intended for people who want to mail me for whatever reasons of their own. I'm not requesting email.
Remove NOPSAM to email me..

I saw some show on TV a bit back where in some poor country they get mountains of junk electronics appliances (locally or on barges, don't recall exactly) and poor locals pick through them getting specs of all kinds of stuff to raise a few bucks.

Wow. I guess it's better than the guano mines, but otoh, they pay a lot better. Hard to believe it would be worth it to ship stuff from the US all the way to this place, or anywhere like it.
Definitely they knowingly took tv's and monitors in Baltimore County until this opened, and probably still do. Just Sunday a friend of mine told me how he missed the annual neighborhood dumpster and didn't know what to do with a whole door, but he put it out, and the county took it. I've seen them take kitchen cabinets too.
But they did cut out once a month bulk collection (big things) and now one has to phone someone, and agree on a day to put it out. And pay for it in most cases.
Remove NOPSAM to email me..
Al Bundy ha escrito:

that is known as e-waste dumping. Our post -consumer residue ends up fucking over the envirnoment in the developing world. see these links:
and
http://lowendmac.com/archive/02/0503.html
and http://www.tchd.org/pdfs/electronic_waste.pdf and http://www.eldis.org/static/DOC12678.htm
apparently there was a treaty ( Basel Convention) , which the United States has not ratified (along with almost any other environmental initiative, Kyoto etc, the US government just does not want to know. They probably owe so many favours to corporate interests that nothing ever gets done.
-B.
I see no reason why the plastic and occasional metal casings can't be recycled. The rest can go into an incinerator.
On 17 Oct 2006 06:36:10 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in Message id:

Somehow, the thought of incinerating lead does not make me comfortable. Not to mention the toxic gases from the electronic bits.
JW wrote:

Printed circuit boards have been burnt to recover the metals in EPA licensed ovens for decades. The metal vapor condenses in the stack, then the metals are separated chemically. A Japanese company has a patent for a process that shreds scrap fiberglass PC boards, then dissolves the metals in acid. The scrap fiberglass is washed, and mixed with raw fiberglass to make things like sinks and bathtubs.
prove it.

There isn't much in the universe that couldn't be recycled if you could figure out a convenient way to separate it from other bits.

Quite right.

Actually,WE are recycled from star material. The original "bits" from the Big Bang are still around, whether as matter or energy (or dark energy E=MC2.). Kopf hoch!
Aspasia
b wrote:

This exists on a much, much larger scale in the industry known as shipbreaking. When oceangoing vessels are retired, they often get sent to a third world country, where they are taken onto the beach and broken down into smaller pieces.
A Canadian photographer named Edward Burtynsky specializes in photographing shipbreaking. There's a link to shipbreaking at his website.
http://www.edwardburtynsky.com /
http://www.edwardburtynsky.com/WORKS/Ships/Ships.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Burtynsky
Look for his book "Manufactured Landscapes : The Photographs of Edward Burtynsky."

Yes, and they aren't following the EU protocols for handling such hazardous waste.

I guess there is some money to be made from them. I know of a plant being built in Florida that will specialize in recycling electronics. Used to be some gold in the connectors but I think much has been eliminated.
There must be a lot of bulk in that stuff. I'm just thinking of my personal use over the last 15 - 20 years or so. I'm on my fifth monitor, at least the fourth computer (some were upgraded in the same case), three printers moved on, two TVs. Makes for a fair amount of bulk for just one person.
"Edwin Pawlowski" ( snipped-for-privacy@snet.net) writes:

There are two issues there. The first is keeping unneeded things out of the landfill. The second is recovering some of the material.
The recovery is I gather expensive compared to what they recover, and the materials needed for the recovery is toxic. So when it's shipped over to third world countries, the danger comes because they are trying to make money off it, and take steps that wouldn't be allowed in North America. The toxic stuff ends up in the water table over there, rather than in North America, though at least when it's shipped over there, they are trying to do recovery.

If people simply did some stripping themselves before tossing, a good portion of the bulk would diminish. If people throwing out computers would take the electronics out, and then get the metal casing to metal recycling, that does take care of much of the bulk. Same with printers, get the circuit boards out of the plastic. Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing.
I've never tossed something that is intact. But then I want the parts myself. So I will strip a bad hard drive down, get the magnets out of it, and the metal from them goes to metal recycling. This is not even some great skill, if people can screw together an Ikea table, they can strip down their computer before tossing.
But then there's an interesting point. If I come across a computer waiting for the garbage, if it's intact (and of interest), I'd make the effort to bring it home. But the more that's been stripped, the less likely I will. I may take parts, if anything interesting remains. A complete unit might find someone who can fix it or make use of it (a lot of electronics is tossed for reasons other than it's broken), but a stripped unit won't.
And as electronic recycling becomes common place, I'm not fully conviced the right decisions will be made. I'd love to drop off some junk (like that I've pulled from the garbage in the first place) and be able to claim something someone else has tossed, that interests me or can finish off something I have (like claim a hard drive to go in that computer I brought home that had none). But that can't happen, because any useful items, at least here, are sold on the used market to help finance the collection. Yet I imagine there is much that can't find a market, because it's old or obscure, the sorts of things I'd really like to come across. The rest is likely stripped, but again, I wonder if they seek the hard to reuse things like the gold on connectors, rather than the parts themselves.
Michael
Michael Black wrote:

Alexandria, Virginia, 50 miles to the southwest of the original poster, prefers that "obsolete" computer equipment be turned in at the toxic waste dump (as I call it), which is open one day per week. They have a huge dumpster, open so that you can walk in, that slowly fills with CPUs, printers, and monitors. In addition, people throw in old stereo equipment and TV sets. When the coast is clear and no one is looking, sometimes I help myself to an occasional goody. Usually I can recover a toner cartridge or a needed cable. If I saw a nice open reel tape deck, I'd try as hard as I could to grab it and run.
The woman who supervises the dump takes a dim view of this personal recycling. She yells at me when she sees me in there, so I've had to stop helping myself to the swag. It's a shame, too, as there is a mountain of decent stuff that ought to be free for the taking.
I have seen one of those full dumpsters being hauled away. It was an absolute heap of electronics, all headed off for destruction.
For an excellent resource for connecting people who have usable items they don't want with people who would like to have them, check out www.freecycle.org. It's set up as a way to keep things out of landfills, when possible.
Jo Ann
Beloved Leader wrote:

Also Craig's List (free section).
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

Don't want to rain on your parade, but no, it's not an excellent resource, at least from my experience. It seems to be full of messages from nice, well-intentioned middle-class folks who are concerned about finding a good home for the rest of that package of paper plates, or whatever. It is available, but be prepared for disappointment. (Plus, I don't care for the way it's implemented as a whole bunch of Google groups, but that's a different complaint.)
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
spake thus:

It is what it is. I have two TV's, a cordless phone and a couple of other things - all saved from the waste stream.
Homer J Simpson spake thus:

Did you get all that from Freecycle?
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I