Recondition cordless batteries?

Chances are after five years, it is time to replace or rebuild the batteries.

What you suggest is not exactly the same thing the company rechargers do. What you suggest worked well with the early nicd batteries in the 70's but not with today's batteries.

I suggest stopping by Batteries Plus or some like place for new batteries or have them rebuild (replace the batteries in the original case) the batteries. Unless you are getting a great deal on them elsewhere, you will likely find they have better batteries or a better price for you.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It was normal for the charge-holding capacity of

1990s NiCad batteries to dwindle after 5 years or so. So why not make this experiment and post results here, whether good or bad?
Reply to
Don Phillipson

I have a couple of cordless drills I bought a bit over 5 years ago, a Dewalt 9.6v and a Panasonic 12v. They both came with two NiCD batteries and I've been using them lightly and the batteries (it seems to me) are not holding much of a charge. Very often, when I reach for one, the battery is on the verge of dieing. Every time that happens I fetch the alternate battery and put the dieing one in the charger and that battery (again, it seems to me) charges too quickly! It's just my feeling that the "charged" signal goes on on the charger too quickly.

I know that some battery chargers feature a reconditioning feature, but of course my cordless drill chargers have nothing of the sort. I'm thinking I can go through several cycles and recondition these batteries. For instance, put the drills on Low and rubber bands around the trigger and let the motors run until I can hear the battery's losing power and then let the battery sit 5-10 minutes (maybe not necessary, it really doesn't seem hot), and then charge. I figure if I do this 4 times or so for each battery, it may well restore most of the capacity. Has anyone tried something like this?

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

I don't know about reconditioning them, I agree with Joe, they are nearing the end of their useful life. I have heard many good things about Voltman's rebuilds. I haven't used them myself yet but it won't be long before I do.

My Dewalt 18 volt batteries are 2 years old with heavy use, and they are definitely not as good as they used to be. The higher the voltage (and the current draw), the faster they wear out, mainly due to internal heating according to what I have read. I use my cordless reciprocating saw a lot, and it discharges the batteries much faster than the drill, so I suspect that contributes to an early decline.

DT

I bought these drills about January 2002.

Yes, I'm doing the experiment right now. I'm recording the amount of time it takes to discharge and charge each battery during each cycle, and I figure I'll do 4 cycles with each battery.

I wish there was a way (I'm sure there is) that I could discharge them without using the motor, but maybe it's not a problem. If I knew how, I would build a discharge device, but my electronics savvy isn't great. I'm cross posting this post to sci.chem.electrochem.battery in hopes for some expert advice. :)

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

:I don't know about reconditioning them, I agree with Joe, they are nearing the :end of their useful life. I have heard many good things about Voltman's :rebuilds. I haven't used them myself yet but it won't be long before I do. : :My Dewalt 18 volt batteries are 2 years old with heavy use, and they are :definitely not as good as they used to be. The higher the voltage (and the :current draw), the faster they wear out, mainly due to internal heating :according to what I have read. I use my cordless reciprocating saw a lot, and :it discharges the batteries much faster than the drill, so I suspect that :contributes to an early decline. : :

I'd think that quick charging would contribute to decline faster than fast discharge, just based on all the stuff I've read, and there's plenty of that.

5 years, I think, with modern NiCD technology is not necessarily all you can expect from them. I have some 10 year old NiCD's that I just reconditioned to 80% + capacity according to my La Crosse BC-900 charger. I think a lot depends on the quality of the batteries.

I'm hopeful that my reconditioning regemin described will restore these batteries to 85%+ capacity. They may have acquired some memory, and I've never done any kind of conditioning cycling on them.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Your batteries are shot, you'll never get the capacity that you once had. The name of the game with cordless tools is to "use 'em or lose 'em." I've had 18 volt Milwaukee batteries last over 10 years with almost daily use, maintained per manufacturer's instruction's. Let them sit unused for a couple of months and any brand battery will be ready for the trash. If you do not use cordless tools a lot, try drilling some holes in a 2 x 4 with a paddle bit once a week to drain the battery, then after it cools off 10 minutes or so, recharge it. That way it will always be ready to go and the batteries will last much longer.........or, like I said, use it more often.

Reply to
volts500

:On Apr 22, 9:41 am, Dan_Musicant wrote: :> I have a couple of cordless drills I bought a bit over 5 years ago, a :> Dewalt 9.6v and a Panasonic 12v. They both came with two NiCD batteries :> and I've been using them lightly and the batteries (it seems to me) are :> not holding much of a charge. Very often, when I reach for one, the :> battery is on the verge of dieing. Every time that happens I fetch the :> alternate battery and put the dieing one in the charger and that battery :> (again, it seems to me) charges too quickly! It's just my feeling that :> the "charged" signal goes on on the charger too quickly. :>

:> I know that some battery chargers feature a reconditioning feature, but :> of course my cordless drill chargers have nothing of the sort. I'm :> thinking I can go through several cycles and recondition these :> batteries. For instance, put the drills on Low and rubber bands around :> the trigger and let the motors run until I can hear the battery's losing :> power and then let the battery sit 5-10 minutes (maybe not necessary, it :> really doesn't seem hot), and then charge. I figure if I do this 4 times :> or so for each battery, it may well restore most of the capacity. Has :> anyone tried something like this? :>

:> Dan : :Your batteries are shot, you'll never get the capacity that you once :had. :The name of the game with cordless tools is to "use 'em or lose 'em." :I've had 18 volt Milwaukee batteries last over 10 years with almost :daily use, maintained per manufacturer's instruction's. Let them sit :unused for a couple of months and any brand battery will be ready for :the trash. If you do not use cordless tools a lot, try drilling some :holes in a 2 x 4 with a paddle bit once a week to drain the battery, :then after it cools off 10 minutes or so, recharge it. That way it :will always be ready to go and the batteries will last much :longer.........or, like I said, use it more often.

Well, I've been having good success reconditioning some old NiCD batteries using my La Crosse AA and AAA charger, so I figure that using the same technique with my cordless batteries I may be able to restore them as well. It's different, in that the cordless batteries are really several batteries, presumably connected in series. I don't think the La Crosse charger is doing anything fancy. It's just charging, then discharging, then charging again, then discharging, etc. until the measured capacity of the battery (determined during the discharge cycle) is no longer increasing and then it terminates the process. I can do this sort of thing manually -- i.e. run the cordless down until it's losing power, charge, and do it over and over until the measured time it takes to charge and/or discharge is no longer increasing. Perhaps I can restore a large part of the lost capacity of the batteries doing this. I figure it's worth a try. Anyway, I'm not yet seriously inconvenienced by the loss of capacity of the drills because I have a 2nd battery for each one. I figure if my technique works, using it occasionally (every year or two) will go a long way to maximizing the overall battery life. I hear that buying replacement batteries for these is pretty expensive (they stick it to you).

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

There is. Solder a short pair of leads with alligator clips to a 12v light bulb and clip it across the battery leads. Use a smaller bulb, like a dome light, parking light, or tail light.

Red

Reply to
Red

I've had 3 battery packs rebuilt by Batteries Plus and have been very satisfied with the results. Plus they saved me about 30% over the cost of new battery packs. Red

Reply to
Red

:On Apr 22, 10:44 am, Dan_Musicant wrote: : :>

:> I wish there was a way (I'm sure there is) that I could discharge them :> without using the motor, but maybe it's not a problem. If I knew how, I :> would build a discharge device, but my electronics savvy isn't great. :> I'm cross posting this post to sci.chem.electrochem.battery in hopes for :> some expert advice. :) : :There is. Solder a short pair of leads with alligator clips to a 12v :light bulb and clip it across the battery leads. Use a smaller bulb, :like a dome light, parking light, or tail light. : :Red : : Hey, that's a smart idea. It would need to be a DC lamp, I suppose, and most auto lights would probably work, I'd think. Thanks.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

You are wasting your time. Throw them away and buy new batteries.

I took mine apart and replaced the shorted 1.2v cells with new cells, but it is not worth the effort - although the new cells are 2600mha and the ones I replaced were 1300. Sure, I have a much more long lasting more powerful battery now but it just ain't worth the effort.

Reply to
deke

I bought one of these and I'm immpressed with it.

It might be just what you need.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

Also, try

and

C & E

Dan_Musicant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Incandescent lamps don't care whether it's DC or AC applied to them. I have a 12W,12V auto bulb that's used in a Tensor hi-intensity lamp that applies AC volts to it,works just the same.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

volts500 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

my first set of Makita 9.6V sticks lasted 10 yrs,with daily use. Once I stopped using them daily,they died quickly.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I used to build and fly R/C airplanes. Conditioning NiCad batteries is a big deal to these hobbyists since a dead battery in mid-flight usually results in a mashed pile of balsa wood and about $500 down the drain. Search some of the newsgroups or hobby websites for info and good tips on theory and practice of cycling batteries.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

JB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b58g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Most drill/driver battery packs do not have terminals one can clip onto,they have flat contacts recessed to prevent accidental shorting. One would have to build a socket for the pack to plug into,with contacts to mate with the pack's contacts. Or cannabalize an old,spare charger for the socket/contacts.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

According to Jim Yanik :

If you're just trying to discharge it a few times, you can get away with masking, duct or electrical tape putting pressure on a chunk of wire against the contacts.

The Dewalts I'm familiar with have spade lugs that are easy to clip to.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Oren :

As I understand it, if you're going to discharge this way, you want to stop discharge just as the voltage across each cell is around

1V. Which for an 18V battery is 15V. The lamp should be noticably dimmer at that point.

Then recharge and repeat.

Reply to
Chris Lewis