Recomendation on whole house fan

I have need for a whole house fan, and my electrician can not locate one that will meet my needs.

Going to mount in attic, 24" space between rafters. However it must go on one particular spot, and that is the middle where all the bracing and center post exist on the rafter. For that reason it can not be any wider that 24" all the way up (from what I can tell, they often lay into a 24" cavity, but are wider above where they would rest on the attic joist (right term?)

Does that make sense? Any good ideas?

Reply to
Jack

Probably not a great idea, but something to consider. Could you offset the fan in some way. That is build some sort of a channel from the ceiling hole that runs off to the side a bit and allows you to put in a regular whole house fan? It would probably be tricky, and it would take some planning to figure out how it would work.

Good luck Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I agree with Bill and it is possible, but the trick is trying to keep the channel some what air tight, so that you get the full vacuum affect from the fan. I just put in a 30" last weekend. Pretty fun stuff and not that difficult at all.

I ran into an issue where one of the joists that my fan was going to rest on, had a vertical support to the roof on it, so I had to shift my fan about 1.5" over the whole. No bad at all. It works well.

Good luck.

Reply to
johnnymo