recessed lights. ic box

simple question: can the ic box for a recessed light touch the sub floor above?
Tye
Yes, but usually IC housings are used where insulation must be installed around or up to the fixture. If you have flooring above, you probably don't need IC housings

Depends on the light. Some can't. It needs to be rated for direct contact.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

My IC boxes specifically stated no closer than 2" to any joists, so I would assume this applies the subfloor as well. If you are in a pince you could use the compact fluorescent floods, but were the unthinkable to happen and someone replaced the CF with an incandesent and caused a fire you would be sorry.
I am assuming you are talking about the boxes that take the RC30 light bulbs. Perhaps the ultra small compact lights and boxes will give you enough clearance to prevent a serious problem.