Recessed Lights

I am getting ready to sheetrock my basement ceiling where I installed several 6" IC Recessed Fixtures. Cutting holes for electrical boxes is not a problem for me but I've never dealt with round holes before. Do I need to make a jig to find the center point of each light? What about using a rotary tool to cut the round holes after the sheetrock is hung?

Thanks in Advance,

-12vman

Reply to
a12vman

I made a jig with a stick, a nail and a razor knife blade. Screw the blade in the end of a 1x1 stick. Set the nail at the desired radius. Poke the nail in the drywall and run the blade around until you get a decent cut. Use that as a giude to finish up with a drywalll saw cutting just inside the score you made. Just be sure there is nothing behind the ceiling where you cut

Reply to
gfretwell

Why not just buy a drywall circle cutter there like $7.00 adjustable to all different diameters?

Reply to
calhoun

drop a line from near the center of each light and make a mark on the floor. Once the drywalls up drop a line to the mark you made on the floor, bingo, roughly the center of the fixture. Use a rotozip or similar. Takes all of about 30 seconds for each light.

Reply to
Brian V

You have received a couple of good suggestions.

Here is one more. The modern can light have 2 or 3 screws that allows the fixture to be raised or lowered by about 1". Set the bottom of the can level with where the top of the drywall will be. Then after you cut out the drywall you can lower it to the bottom of the drywall.

I would use a dremel or spiral saw with a drywall blade. I am going to have to try that plumb bob method.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt