Recessed light problem

I have a incandescent light in a recessed fixture in the basement that doesn't come on instantly. When you flip the switch, nothing happens, but if you leave the switch on the light comes on a few minutes later. I have changed the light switch and it still takes some time to work. What might the reason be for not coming on in an instant? That's me with the fluorescent light problem in a previous post as well. I am sure they are not related, but who knows. Thanks for your help.
If it's a low voltage fixture, there may be a slight delay but not minutes. There is a thermal cutout wired into the junction box of the fixture, which may be faulty. Other than that, only a loose connection would cause a delay. If it's a loose connection, I would expect it to flicker on and off periodically

This probably isn't it but before you do anything else try changing the bulb.
goodfella wrote:

I've had Capsule light do some very strange things, so it could be the bulb, especially if it's one of them. I have a 50 watt unit right now in my kitchen that, if it's left on for a long period of time, you hear a click and it goes out. After an apparent cool down, it got back on.

As somebody else suggested, first just change the bulb making sure it's an "ordinary" bulb. If it then works normally, you've found the problem.
If the problem still occurs, you know there's a problem in the base most likely. I'd start w/ taking the bulb out and checking voltage in the socket (carefully!) w/ a VOM while somebody operates the switch and see what that looks like. Are there other lights on the same circuit/switch?

A common problem is in the center terminal of the lamp socket. The plastic gets tired and allows the center terminal to sag, so the fix is easy: turn off the circuit, take out the lamp and with needle nose pliers or other handy tool, pull up the center contact a small amount (be careful), reinstall lamp and all should be well. HTH
Joe