Recessed light problem

I bought Halo H5ICAT recessed light housing in Lowes. I was sure it is IC type and can be completely buried in insulations. The manual that comes with housing shows it completely covered with insulation, the info on cooperlighting.com also says this. however I did a Google search and found on several Web sites what seems to be the same description that states that 3" air gap must be maintained between housing and insulation. Whom to believe?

Reply to
Sasha

If it truley is a icat, then it can be burried in insulation. icat stands for insulation contact air tight. There should be a sticker on the can itself telling you what model it is, if they are alreay installed see if you can find the reciept.

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

I have never seen a receipt that contains this kind of information especially from the box stores.

According to the manufactures sheet the fixture is rated to be in direct contact with insulation.

In today's world of MBA's and lawyers. I am sure the other sites just added the 3 inch space as protection from law suits.

Keep an eye on the light for awhile. If it goes out. Reduce the bulb size. I used CF's in all my recessed cans in the last house.

Reply to
SQLit