RANT: About Ray-O-Vac batteries!

Page 1 of 3

In the past (and when on sale) I would buy ROV batteries...and they would always fail prematurely for me. Then I would think to myself, how could a big company still be in business that made a faulty product. So I would try again. Last time was a 5 year rated lithium 9Volt I put in a smoke detector...it failed (detector started short beep) after 2 weeks!
I don't have problems with Duracell or Energizer. (I don't own stock in these companies)
bob_v
I've heard from other people that Energizer quality are better. Can't say, I havn't done any testing. However, I've had some bad ROV battereis, AAA, from Real Deals Dollar Store. But, 20 battteries for a buck, I can't complain too loudly. They were probably long out of date.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Physical dimension between Duracell and Energizer is wee bit different. I had a thing only accept Duracell in it's battery compartment. That was my garage door remote at my last house.
I hear that. Rayovac rechargable NiMH cells rattle around, in my mini mag.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Bob Villa wrote:

Hint: stop buying that brand.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Bob Villa wrote:

For alkaline use, I get the Eveready Gold Alkalines. They last just about almost as long as duracell or energizers, but for a fraction of the cost.
Jon

I've had so many Duracells leak,I don't use them anymore. I've had good luck with Fuji Novel and Ray-o-vac. Everready are OK,but more expensive. Harbor Freight alkalines leaked while still in the packaging.Avoid them like they had plague.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Bob Villa wrote:

A lot of reviews laud the Radio Shack batteries because they sell so many that the store stock is always fresh.
TDD

Interesting...Radio Shack batteries use to be the worlds worst batteries...they had a free battery-a-month club and it wasn't even worth it to use their batteries when they were free.
Dan

Anybody who is still using disposable batteries is insane. For the price of a a few replacements, you can get a set of rechargeable that'll last years. I use rechargeables in everything down to my universal remote controls. They've paid for themselves many times over.
AZ Nomad wrote:

I love rechargeable batteries, the only problem I have with those wonderful things is the two legged dumb asses who come along and throw them away. I worked at a place years ago where the goofballs would toss the rechargeables and put disposables into my recharger. Unfortunately, the legal system in this country takes a dim view of what I consider justifiable homicide.
TDD
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:54:53 -0500, AZ Nomad

In general, I agree, and I have plenty of rechargeables. I do have a few uses where rechargeables simply don't cut it. They have a different output curve, and they also self discharge faster. For things such as smoke detectors that are very low drain but need long life in standby, a regular Alkaline is still superior. I also have a marine VHF handheld that was designed for the output curve of alkalines. Fully charged NiMH batteries have lower initial voltage, and it is enough of a difference that the low battery alarm is on from the minute you put them in. I also don't use the radio very much. I just carry it on the dinghy, for "just in case". I put a fresh set of alkalines in that every spring and they are still okay when I haul the boat out in the fall. I then use up those batteries in other things, like my digital kitchen timers.
1) Flashlight left in the vehicle for a year or so, and expected to work. 2) Devices taken on a camping trip with no charger nearby 3) FRS walkie talkies stored in the glovebox, and needed at random moments
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
AZ Nomad wrote:

In certain applications, rechargeable won't cut it. Their charateristics is different. I frequently use Lithium batteries. I have some rechargeable too. It all depends. I am not insane. My universal remote(Harmony) sits on it's own cradle with built-in rechargeable.

No argument there. I use disposables for the smoke alarms and anything that doesn't get regular use (flashlight in the car was a good example). Maybe 4% of the batteries in my household. Everything that actually involves regular use gets rechargeables, including the remote controls.

The one item that I would use rechargeables in - my digital camera - won't accept them. so I'm stuck with disposables. However I've found the Energizer E2 to be excellent.
nate

Your average grocery supermarket probably turns over more batteries than a typical Radio Shack location. That whole "Radio Shack batteries are fresher" was a PR campaighn by Radio Shack. It's BS, and very easy to disprove. All consumer batteries have expiration dates on the packaging.
That was back in the seventies, and that was carbon cells.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

ROV flashlights used to be even worse.
I havent bought anything ROV in at least 25 years.
They sell Fuji batteries priced very reasonably around here. I've had no problems with 'em.
Willie