Rancid Carpet Smell after flooding

Hello All, Anybody know a good remedy for rancid carpet smell after it has been flooded and is drying? I got most of the water out of one room that flooded, but the floor smells.

Baking soda? Acid? New carpet? :-)

TIA

Reply to
Don W. McCollough

Tear it up. Anything can be growing under it and can affect your health. If it stinks, it is bad.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have to agree. If it was a "clean water" wetting that the carpet got (broken pipe) it might have been salvagable. You don't know what kind of cr@p was in the flood water. The basic rule is that anything flood water touches should be replaced or cleaned with bleach.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce