Radon stuff

I posted awhile ago about the cracks in my basement and stuff. Well I finally removed the carpets and sealed up the cracks with a polyeurothane based caulk. I also used a Radon Seal (clear liquid based solution) over the entire foundation.
My radon levels are better but not by much. My long term reading (over a month) is averaging around 4.5 pCi/L . I have a radon monitoring gadget I bought to measure these levels. (Safety Siren Pro 3)
My question is... Is it possible I could get away with just installing a Radon Fan since my levels arent too way? Anything over 4.0 is considered not safe. I have a radiant heating system...so they cant drill down into my basement to install anything. Im also thinking about getting a fireplace installed since I have everything stripped down in my basement. Maybe I should have the fireplace installed first ? Maybe they will have an alternate solution to the radon fan or will be able to install it themselves when they make the opening for the fireplace ? Im just hoping I could get away with just needing a fan for this solution.
Eventually im going to install Pergo wood flooring down there, so that in itself my help the levels a little aswell. (by the way I dont have any water problems down there in the basement..even when it rains alot)
Any expertise is appreciated.
John
Each case it different, but I would think the fan/vent will do it. Around were I am sealing and a fan/vent is the usual approach.
I do worry about your flooring idea, but if you do the fan/vent system just right, it should also help reduce humidity.
Before going ahead with the floor I suggest you take some plastic and duct tape it to the floor, about 1 foot square. You may want to do it several places around the area you are considering putting down the flooring. If after a few days it is not damp under the plastic, you should be good to go. If it is damp, I would ask your local flooring supplier for advice.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

get a interior french drain if theres any question of ever getting misture or water in the basement..........
otherwise all your finish efforts will be a waste of money
you cant seal water out of a basement, just move it to somewhere else
It would be good if you can get a copy of the radiant heating plan that was installed in your basement floor. It could give you an idea of where you could open a hole in the floor. Keep in mind that the plan may not exactly match the location of the actual installation, but it may provide some clue of gaps probably near where the pipes attach to a manifold. Then dig through the concrete very carefully.

I have no idea where to go to get a copy of this ? There wasnt even a blueprint of the house when I purchased it. It was built in 1993 and I was here in 2003.
Does anyone know what the alternative radon solutions are called when you cant dig down through the concrete? I would like to google them and have some knowledge before I call over the radon dude.
john
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:52:41 -0500, john wrote:

You didn't mention anything about a sump pump. That is where Radon enters the basement.
In Iowa I just sold a house and the radon levels were too high. Despite the ease of installing a venting system I was required by law to have it professionally installed for $1500 for less than $200 worth of equipment. If I had installed it before the inspection I could have done it myself.
Government governs best when it governs least.
so I guess nobody knows of radon solutions for people with radiant heating ? I know about the fan but thats about it.

one could dig a hole along the foundation and drill under the slab or basement floor inserting a perforated pipe. seal entrance bvent as usual. pipe and fan out the roof.
if the home has a sump pump you pull vacuumn on the sump.