radon in basement

We did a radon test on our house and found it to be elevated to 6. We were told that it should have read 4.

It is a big deal to correct this problem. We live in Central New Jersey near Morristown,

Thank you

Jim

Reply to
James Repetski

"We live in Central New Jersey near Morristown, "

Last time I checked, Morristown was still in north jersey.

Reply to
trader4

Look at the Building Science Corporation web site. They have a diagram of their suggested solution.

Since you haven't told us anything about the way your house is arranged, there is no way we can tell you if it is " a big deal " or not.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

Who knows if its a big deal, you give no details, start with sealing all cracks in floor and walls and re test.

Reply to
m Ransley

ok picky...we know how smart you are ...where's your answer to the question?

Reply to
Carl

"ok picky...we know how smart you are ...where's your answer to the question?"

If you read the OP, no question was ever posed.

Reply to
trader4

I've looked at a lot of houses with radon systems installed, abd there is usually a way to do it that's not too invasive.

Get an estimate from a remediator, and they should come up with an estimate of $1000-$2500. The system is usually a 6-8 inch PVC pipe stuck through a hole punched into the middle of the basement slab, there's a motor and fan in the pipe, and the pipe exhausts somewhere outside the house (in a specific fashion, at a specific location).

I'm not sure if there are kits avail. to the 'public' for doing this, if you're of a mind to try it yourself. The only real not-off-the-shelf item is the fan-motor assembly, and the little manometer that tells you its actually working.

The good thing about having enough radon that you need to install a system, is that after you install it, you'll have far less radon than someone who didn't need the system. Properly installed, the systems are very effective.

A downside to doing it yourself is that you can't rtefer a future buyer of your house to the installing company. Some people are very skittish about a house that has a system.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

You are at the borderline for the EPA radon exposure standard. But many feel that standard is set at a ridiculously low level. In other words it's more a product of bureaucratic rectal extrapolation than real science. Dr. Geno Saccomanno did extensive research on Radon exposure in Uranium mines and he found that levels as high as 20 pCi/l have no measurable effects unless the people exposed are heavy smokers.

Fixing the problem usually runs $2500 for a slab vacuum fan and ducts. If it were me, I'd continue to monitor the levels, but I wouldn't bother doing anything unless they increased dramatically.

Reply to
Tim Killian