Raccoons under the deck

not really, if you're spreading any kind of disease that the animal might have had, sorta like moving the h1n1 virus around the globe might be not a good idea.
on 6/16/2009 3:16 PM (ET) charlie wrote the following:

Then no one should be allowed to move.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No. An animal that has been trapped might learn from the experience to stay out of traps in the future. A killed animal does not present the same problem.

perhaps it might cause the spread of diseases in the animal population.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Frank wrote:

Fine print: Squirrels are game animals and, if taken out of season (usually around February), you could be in big trouble.
This works to your advantage if squirrels get in your attic and gnaw up your wiring. Most insurance won't cover damage due to vermin, but since you can't kill squirrels...
HeyBub wrote:

especially if they are putting humans in danger. I highly doubt the cops would care, unless you were obviously setting up a trap to harvest meat. Farmers usually get no grief for killing animals that keep breaking their fences, devastating their crops, or killing their livestock. (unless it is a federal protected species, of course...)
-- aem sends...
Frank wrote:

Depends on the animal and where it is. Bald eagles and gopher tortoise take an act of congress and have delayed many construction projects in FL. Having vultures crapping all over your house is not excuse to kill them. OTOH, folks invite all kinds of problems with leaving food sources for wild animals.....neighborhoods that go to war over feeding wild birds, etc. Heron and egrets can spot a fishing pole from a mile away and show up before we get bait on the hook, ready for handouts. I had a seagull swipe a hot dog from the bun in my hand at the beach one day - didn't see it coming. They grabbed a cookie from my grandsons hand, without touching him.

Those two birds "earned" their chow:-))
Lou
LouB wrote:

your hand. Ducks or gulls, depending on locale, will swarm you before you get to water's edge. As soon as the bread stops coming, they show you their backside, and either move on to next newcomer, or go back to what they are doing and ignore you. Kinda sad, really. Almost like watching the goats or whatever at a petting zoo, fight for space on the little ramp up to the Rube Goldberg food dispenser where people put in a token, or dump the little cup of feed they bought from the attendant.
Yeah, they learn quick, just like squirrels and 'squirrel-proof' bird feeders.
-- aem sends...
on 6/16/2009 11:57 AM (ET) Bert Byfield wrote the following:

Raccoons are very intelligent and have articulate paws. I had a friend that had a chicken coop with an enclosure, including the top. The raccoons learned how to unhook the hasp and staple secured doors.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

_Baby Raccoons Get Stuck in Vending Machine_
With pic:
.."Residents were shocked by the sight and tried to coax the masked critters out of the machine, but needed some expert help.
So they called a local resident known for helping get animals out of sticky situations.
They so called "Skunk Whisperer", Ned Bruha, who came to the rescue.."
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-stuck-raccoons,0,7478197.story

I never gave raccoons much thought until one night I heard something in our ceiling and went outside the next day to find they had dug out two large holes in the roof. It cost me a couple of hundred bucks to fix that. Raccoons can be very destructive in the right situation.
David
Kurt Ullman wrote:

-------- "Tomchak came home to find rugs torn up, walls ripped down, electricity cut, trees chopped, and nobody taking responsibility....Tomchak says the demolition of the home was supposed to be even worse, including one scene where a ... chainsaw ..."
http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_061409WAB-movie-crew-wrecks-house-SW.7ea2fb02.html

They will tend to destroy. We had one in the back yard. The animal was biting at our wood siding on the house. It must have given up because the next place we found them was under the shed.
We finally called a professional since there were 6 holes from woodchucks as well as raccoons. The guy said they were all the biggest 'chucks and 'coons he's ever seen.
I don't know the procedure if you have babies under there.

SSS...Shoot , Shovel , Shutup...Problem solved....

family of about 5-6 deer wander through a couple times a month. And there are too many squirrels and chipmunks to count. Did I mention the 11 birds nests?
--
"I found what I thought was a REALLY good book,
called _Girl to Grab_. Imagine my surprise when I found