"R" for insulation????

Page 1 of 2
My last question before I get started with insulating my crawl space. Remember this is my first time doing this. What does the "R" mean for insulation. I was going to insulated my crawl space with fiberglass insulation but a man from the big orange box told me that for a crawl space I could use (i forgot the exact name) styrofoam and glue it to the walls and it would have an R10 rating (or something like that). What did he mean and is styrofoam just as effective as insulation (in Colorado) for keeping the heat in?

R is for resistance to heat movement. Some info here http://www.rvalue.net /
Styrofoam is about R4 per inch, same with expandable polystyrene.

Resistance to heat flow. Specifically, Ohm's law for heatflow says I = E/R Btu/h, where E is an F temp diff and R is the R-value of 1 square foot of insulation. For A square feet, multiply the heatflow by A.
For instance, a 2'x8' R5 Styrofoam (vs R4 beadboard) wall that's 70 F on one side and 30 F on the other will have I = (70F-30F)2'x8'/R5 = 128 Btu/h of heat (38 watts) flowing through it.
Nick

And here I always thought it meant "Rob". The higher the R value the more money they ROB from your wallet. :)
Styrofoam is R4-4.5" Blue or pink foamboard is R5" Foil faced Polyisocyanurate foamboard is R7.2" R value is resistance to heat flow, foam costs more, in certain areas it is better where area to insulate is minimal, it also provides a vapor -air infiltration barrier.

Same thing. All R5 per inch. Open cell expanded polystyrene (white coffee cup material) is R4 per inch...

These days, it's often stamped "R6.8" (per inch.) Add about R3 per foil, if the foils are exposed.
Nick
Nick, White Styrofoam is not R5", extruded polystyrene, the pink Owens Corning or blue Dow is R5" . White Styrofoam board is sold just like R5 extruded polystyrene board, in the same manner, but is inferior in R value, workability and stability.
Polyisocyanurate foilfaced newly used rating of 6.7"-6.8" is the aged or mature R value after R 7.2" polyiso outgasses.
Perhaps you could provide us with some detailed mathematicals of your opinion.

Where can we buy this "white Styrofoam board"? :-)
Nick

Styrofoam is the blue material extruded by Dow Chemical. Styrofoam is a registered trademark of Dow but often the name is mis-used when referring to any other type of polystyrene foam board, extruded or molded and wire cut such as the CLOSED cell expandable polystyrene board, sometimes called bead board.

EPS is open cell. X (extruded) PS is closed.
Nick

Niki, Niki, Niki. You can masturbate all the equations you want, but you can't change material at will.
I have been in the EPS business since May of 1970. I have been in every aspect of molding expandable polystyrene beads. Packaging, insulation, ICF, fabricated board. If it was an open cell, do you think the coffee cuts and seafood containers would be holding liquids?
Want the names of the top chemists for this stuff at NOVA or BASF, or Huntsman?
What is EPS?
Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) is a rigid, closed cell, plastic foam material. EPS can be molded into a variety of shapes and sizes. EPS is typically available in large blocks that can be cut into sheeting, architectural detail work for use on houses and buildings, signage, floatation etc. It's lightweight properties make it very easy to work with. Architectural EPS is modified with a fire retardant and is usually encapsulated with an acrylic-based finish.
EPS is totally recyclable. EPS does not contain ozone depleting CFC's or HCFC's.

Wrong.
Nick

My Dearest Niki, Please call Felix at Nova Chemical. Or Warren at BASF. They will educate you. They can even send you photos of the cellular structure of the material. They can send you many of the technical bulletins. They can give you the specifications.
By stating that I'm wrong on this, you merely show your inability to accept reality. Prove me wrong. Show me the statistics. Show me the technical data. If the people that have been making EPS since 1954 are wrong, they would certainly appreciate you setting them right.
I didn't invent the material, I just work with it for the past 36 years. Millions of pounds of it, tens of millions of parts made with it. Sure Nick, you know everything.
I respectfully await your reply. Your friend, Ed
Nick, we demand mathimaticals of proof.

You can't even spell mathimaticals of proof :-)
Nick
Foamboard Nick, where can anybody buy R 12 Foamboard Nick, Post some proof of your crackpot theorys. or get off the crack or pot.

A US lumberyard.

I did, but you didn't understand it :-) Try education.
Nick
Nick, Where can I buy R 13,2 foamboard.

A European lumber yard?
Nick
Nick, foilfaced does not increase R value by 3R per foil, or R6 for both side, please provide proof of your statement. At most it contributes R-.5, if that.