"Quick Release" plywood panel

Page 2 of 2
I have a vertical piece of plywood (about 1/3 sheet) bolted onto a wood frame structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!
Anyone have ideas on a faster method that would hold the panel securely in place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.
One idea (not a good one) is to use U-bolts attached to the structure, with the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.
I'm hoping there are some specialty hardware products that might do a better job. Any ideas?
*Velcro comes to mind.
On Oct 23, 7:52am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have a similar stitatuon.... a plywood panel about 30" wide x 80" high. I have it secured on the edges to to framing with about 8 or 10 square drive flat head #10 x 2" sheet metal screws.
I only need to remove it to do washing machine / dryer maint or access some washing machine plumbing...so only about once a year, max.
Depending on the "look" that is acceptable, frequency of access & the amount of time to build the system...
1) screws into wood or http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=363&site=ROCKLER 2) 1/4 turn captive fasteners & retainers 3) 1/4 turn blade style fastners 4) http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=729&rrt=1
sorry cannot find the exact device I'm looking for...
cheers Bob

djuz (?spelling?) faseners? Look good but are a bit visible. I'm thinking of thetype hey used to use (maybe stilldo) to hold hoods on race cars closed.
Harry K

structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

Maybe several magnetic catches like these:
http://www.wwhardware.com/cabinet-locks-and-catches/cabinet-and-furniture-catches/magnetic-catches /
or http://tinyurl.com/8d4u9c9
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Magnets. Any hardwarestore has them. (normally used to keep doors closed).
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

1. Touch latches...push to release
2. Any sort of ball & socket fastener, frequently used on car trim
3. Various knockdown furmiture fasteners.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:52:22 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

Some kind of 1/4 turn fastener instead of the bolts?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Put small wood blocks on the back of the panel, and matching blocks in the opening just below the ones on the panel. Put a 30 taper on the bottom of the blocks on the panel and a matching taper on the tops of the blocks in the opening. The blocks will interlock and gravity will hold it in place. (Easier to do than explain, I wish I could put up a picture here)

Your suggestion is typically called a "french cleat" as shown here:
http://newtowoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/frenchcleat1.jpg
On Oct 23, 10:52am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

1/3 sheet? About 11 sq ft?
Does it have to be plywood? Since it can be removed from the outside, it doesn't sound like access security is an issue.
What about a simple shade or some curtains?
What about some hooks at the top and slots in the panel? Lift up and out to remove, slide down and in to rehang. Velcro at the bottom if you want to "secure" it a little.
What about a home made bi-fold door that only needs half the clearance to open?
There must be some other requirements that you haven't mentioned that eliminates the thousands of possible methods of covering a 11 sq ft hole.
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:56:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

structure.  There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel.  Slow!

the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood.  Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place.  Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

He DID say it was part of a climbing wall - which rules out all the velcro, magnets, push latches, etc.

True...but he said it after many of us had already responded. You gotta admit that leaving that whole "body weight" thing out of the OP may have led some us to offer some suggestions that might not apply.
That's why I suspected that there were "other requirements" that we didn't know about.

structure. There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel. Slow!

the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood. Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place. Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

No credentials as an interior designer here-- but I do wonder how "aesthetics" is an issue anyplace a vertical sheet of bolted-on yet removable plywood is the solution;-) Wifey-pie?
Just sayin'......
--
If Obama is reelected to a second term, hell truly be able to talk
about the mess he inherited.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

velcro?