"Quick Release" plywood panel

That's why I suggested a lot of galv deck screws.

.

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:52 AM Subject: "Quick Release" plywood panel

Bad idea to have a removable panel on a climbing wall.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This any better?

.

While you're fixing the attributions, why not fix your wonderful top posts too?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, it's an option that I unchecked (unticked, for UK friends) the box. With only two persons text, it can't be that hard to follow.

Better, now?

.

Not at all. Your newsreader doesn't indent previous posts which makes it difficult to tell who said what. Is that a bug in Outlook Express?

And your God blessed Haleighleujah-handclapping top-posting adds even more confusion to the thread. ;-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

structure.  There is storage behind the panel, but to access it I need to remove all of the bolts before removing the panel.  Slow!

place?  Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

the loop of the bolt passing through slots in the plywood.  Then a wedge could be inserted between the protruding loop and plywood surface to hold everything in place.  Simply knock the wedges out to pull the panel down. Aesthetically not the nicest...I'd rather stick with the existing bolts.

job.  Any ideas?

He DID say it was part of a climbing wall - which rules out all the velcro, magnets, push latches, etc.

Reply to
clare

Would those "ply clips" they use to hang hurricane panels in window frames work for you.

Hinge it at the top. WW

Reply to
WW

True...but he said it after many of us had already responded. You gotta admit that leaving that whole "body weight" thing out of the OP may have led some us to offer some suggestions that might not apply.

That's why I suspected that there were "other requirements" that we didn't know about.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No! And it won't be "better" until you give up your stubborn, moronic top posting.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yah, top posting totally destroys the flow of a thread

Reply to
Tonya Harding

as a rule, uk posters dont top-post so now whats your excuse?

Reply to
Jerrod

Evidenlty they don't know how to punctuate, though.

Reply to
krw

Hanger bolts. Closet bolts are the toilet hold down bolts.

Reply to
dadiOH

In lieu of hanger bolts, I'm currently using threaded inserts (T-nuts) to b= olt the panel in place. +1 since the bolt head will always be the same dis= tance above the surface of the plywood, regardless of how much the bolt is = tightened.

I'm going to try C-channel along 3 sides (bolts remain on the 4th side) as = a test to see if it will be secure enough. Simply remove those bolts and s= lide the entire panel out. Given that it is a small piece of ply I'm optim= istic that it will be strong enough...if I see appreciable flex I'll go bac= k to using bolts.

Apologies to those who didn't get my update on a 'climbing wall' applicatio= n. I was trying to describe the problem in a generic manner so it might al= so be useful to others. I'm appreciative of the suggestions...I always lea= rn something new when I post on this group.

Reply to
dbonnell

Evidenlty????

Reply to
Lamont

in place? Hinges won't work because of clearance issues.

secure the opposite edge? There are other fasteners by the dozens for the = free edge.

Quick update: Plywood panel is triangular. I got away with 3 low-profile b= olts on the hypotenuse and installed C-channel for the other 2 sides to mat= e with (against ceiling and wall). Very secure, no problem for climbing. = The only problem now is a slight warp in the plywood which can make inserti= ng/removing a bit challenging.

I tried straightening the plywood but no success (even with heat/pressure).= Guess I'll do some spot sanding to make things a bit smoother.

Reply to
dbonnell