Question on replacing rotted window sill

The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the years. I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like siding. Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the entire window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I need to get a few more years out of them.
Thanks in advance.

years.
siding.
need
I've replaced a few with pressure treated wood. If your's are like mine, they are not really a structural part, that is they are not an integral part of holding up the window. Not much nailing required and I sealed them with caulk and painted. Frank

If it's not totally gone, you could probably reconstruct/repair the existing one as an alternative as well and get several years more to get you to the full replacement time. I've used the "PC Woody" two- part as well as the one part stabilizer successfully on the barn restoration. If you buy the larger sizes rather than the tiny little ones, it's not excessively expensive. An inexpensive alternative if need to reconstruct an area is regular old Bondo, too.
Again, as another responder said, it's quite possible if you investigate you'll be able to remove the sill relatively simply and if so, that's probably best. But, if you're only looking for short-term repair with major restoration on down the road anyway, the alternative is worth consideration any way.

years.
siding.
need
Try looking at the link below. It provides "do it yourself" window stool replacement MLD

http://www.michaelholigan.com/Departments/TVShow/seg_index.asp?ts%5FidQ33

I have replaced several over the recent years using a "composite sill". Should never have to replace them again.
It is a fairly easy project for the average DIY person with some tools.

entire
I was thinking cedar or pressure treated. I hadn't considered composite. Thanks.

I can't give you a brand name because I don't know it. The easiest one of the two that I have used comes in 2 pieces with all angles precut. The exterior lip that is normally such a pain to cut out is a separate piece.
You cut the "interior piece" to the width of the window frame, slide it into place and secure it. Then the exterior portion is glued and nailed into place. The whole thing is ramp cut to provide the proper slope to match the old windows.
I also used another brand one time that was a duplicate of the old wood sills. It is a bit harder to fit but also works well. Around here one brand is sold at a mill shop and the other is sold at a brick yard that also sells millwork. So I guess the best place to look for either is at a millwork shop in your area.
Colbyt

into
the
also
Good information. Thanks a lot. Regards.
Have the window boys wrap it. Fix it when you do the big job.
--
Steve Barker

"Bill Rah" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

When you say "wrap it", do you mean painted aluminum? I have thought of that and will do it if I think replacement is too much of an issue.
yes, aluminum sheeting is what they use for wrap on brick mold, sills, soffits, etc. If you know someone with a small sheetmetal brake, that's even better.
--
Steve Barker

"Bill Rah" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your comments and ideas.