Question on mixing gas / oil for string trimmer

Hi there-
I need some good advice. I finally burnt out the motor on my old electric string trimmer. So I went out and bought a gas powered model, oil & a one gallon can. I stopped at a gas station to mix the oil & gas but ended up spilling maybe half the oil down the side of the can. I then filled the container about 2/3 full of gas, hoping that the 'mix' would be 'about right.'
How 'exact' should the mix be? I really don't want to F.U. this new machine. If I should start over, what can I use this old fuel for? Mix it into the cars tank? The lawn mowers tank??
Thanks, --Phil Marshall-- {Remove #9 to reply}
On 27 Jun 2003 20:49:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com(Marshall) wrote:

Start over! Go to a store that sells chain saws and buy a six-pack of little 2-cycle oil bottles. Read the instructions on a bottle. Mine say "mix with gasoline, ratio 50 to 1."
This is most easily done using a two and one-half gallon container. You fill the container half full of gas, add the entire little bottle of oil, shake, add the rest of the gas, shake again, and go.
I buy my gas in a 5 gal. container and use it as the source for the mixture.
As for the 'mix' you already have (it's less than a gallon, right?), just add it to your automobile's tank.
--JWW
put it in your mower........ 2 stroke needs proper lubrication..... in car its ng for cat converter......EPA regs for less pollution dont care about WEAR on motor .......Use 1 can lawnboy oil to RECOMENED gas.amount your eqip will last.... EPA regs screw new 2 stroke equipment

Dunno if you're joking, but certainly the manual tells you *exactly* what the ratio should be. Probably either 50:1 or 32:1. Don't guess.
Consensus seems to be that it's fine to burn off the old stuff in the car - preferably an older one with an old carb. Put it in when you're filling up and the ratio of oil to gas will be tiny.
There are some oils out there that say they mix the same way and work for all engines, but a good rule of thumb is to mix the oil exactly as this post says, but reading the manual. Even if you have to have a gas can for the weedeater, and a gas can for the lawn boy, and a gas can for the chain saw, etc.

OK. Thanks everyone. I'll use the 'mixed' gas in the lawn mower. I did buy the 2 stroke oil in those small 2.6oz bottles. I'll be a lot more carefull next time when I mix the stuff ;)))
--
--Phil Marshall--
{Remove #9 to reply}

Start over again. Put 1/2 gallon gas in the can, add the 50:1 oil, and pump in another 1/2 gallon. Make sure the oil is name brand like Echo, Stihl or Husqvarna. Use premium fuel.
(If you want a superior 2 cycle oil than use Mobil MX2T and mix it 32:1. I prefer my mix with a tad more oil as do the 2 cycle pros.)
After a season, dump the old mix in your car/truck that has a full tank of gas. It'll be such a dilute ratio it'll be just fine.