Question for Painters (colors)

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for some neutral shades of paint. I was wondering if anyone can supply me with the paint brand and chip number of some nice neutral shades.
It seems I paint a room over and over again looking for the right color. The color on the chip looks nice, but when I get it on the wall there is too much red or green, etc... Or it's too light or dark.
If you paint for a living, I'd sure appreciate the brand/chip number of the neutral paints you use.

Tough question.
What's your idea of "neutral"?
I mean no offence, but if you have painted "a room over and over again" I don't think YOU are sure what neutral is.......

It *is* tough to get the neutral you want. Of course it depends on what is desired in a neutral. (more taupey? more beigy - that is more yellow?) But it also depends so much on the other things in the room, esp. flooring, and lighting.
To the O.P. - I've (personally) been really pleased with Benjamin Moore White Dove for a very pretty and long-wearing off-white for trim and ceilings and walls in a room my son wanted white and blue. The Ben Moore Anique White really is a light beige (toward the yellow side) that worked very well with dark stained trim in a finished basement.
Get the smallest portions of paint buyable, paint two or three choices in 3x3 foot squares on a prominent wall. Then wait a week. Look in the morning, in the mid-day, in the evening, and at night with the lighting you most often use. Walk in and try to sense which one draws the eye in a pleasing way. During the course of the week. Then you'll be in a better position to know what "lives" well on the walls.
Banty
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:40:54 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

Or the OP needs new eye glasses.

18% grey is 'neutral'. There is NOTHING going on in terms of colour.
for more info on 'neutral'
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/tools/card.shtml

What I'd like may be nothing what youlike. White is about as neutral as you can et, but I don't like it. Some off whites and tans can be neutral, but still not what I like.
If you want to add some warmth, go to rose colors, but if you like it cooker, blue and green pastels will be what you want.
You can also buy small test sizes at Benjamin Moore stores.

This is a really weird question.
Tape the paint chips to the wall and view them for several days, under as many kinds of light as you expect to have at various times.
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:52:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

No it's not a weird question.
There are shades that interior painters for upscale new construction, model homes, and homes being 'staged' for sale (by a pro after a death, for example) turn to that are 'safe' in that they don't go too much to one or other side of the color wheel and have wide appeal.
I'm not in those trades, but I know the answer he's looking for exists.
For example, I chose for a bathroom vanity counter a subtly textured neutral formica. Because I wanted it. This was in the showroom of an outfit that proobably does the most contractor supplies in the area. The sales person commented that I had chosen the particular color and pattern used very often by new construction. For its wide appeal and good neutral.
Something like that (in a paint color, of course), is most probably what the O.P. is looking for.
Banty

I wonder how often it is chosen for aftermarket. Bold colors can have limited appeal and even if I like something today, I may tire of it in a couple of years. Coppertone or Harvest Gold appliances for example. I tend to stay with more neutral colors and designs for long term expensive items, but I'm not afraid to be bold and difference for easily changed things like painting a room. Siding or countertops can cost thousands of $ to change, while a room can be freshened up for $50.

*rocking back-n-forth on my heels*
.....and what's wrong with those colours?
Eh?
Actually it'd be better to get a test quart and paint a poster board.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sorry, but that is why them make all those colors. What looks best sort of depends on what each of us like.
I think the suggestion of getting a number of chips you like and leave them in the room for a few days and check them out under all kinds of light. You may also want to check around to see who it is and if anyone one in your area has the option to buy just a small quantity of a color where you can put it on your wall and see what it will look like. You may try several. It would be littler money and little work. I think they were offering the sample sizes for something like a dollar or two.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
have been using DeVine Paint by the Miller Paint Company of Portland, Oregon go to www.millerpaint.com...sorry I have never checked their website out. Thus far, have used their color called Filbert..... hard to describe colors but I liken it to a pale cocoa. When the sun goes down in the evening it almost glows like an adobe wall. It will look dark to you but it really isn't. Its in my den/tvroom.The color sand is in my dinning room. Like you, have had trouble with colors. So finally hired a paint/color advisor to come to my home to give suggestions. The lighting, carpeting, windows, furniture, all make a difference as to what color would look best. Some whites can be very harsh.....its like living in a museum.
Here is an old painter's trick. Use a full color wheel sample book. Pick out the color you want. Go 2 shades lighter in the book. Paint. I've done this for years with customers and never had anyone say I had the wrong color. Most people cannot envision an entire room painted the color of a small 1" sample.

Good Grief...... Some of the things people ask for on here are utterly rediculous..... Go to a frikkin paint store and LOOK at the samples, and bring some home with you.
On 30 Oct 2005 06:31:30 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

says...

Good grief. Some of the responses here are utterly ignorant.
Learn to spell. And you either have never painted, or don't care much how it looks once it's on the walls.
Don't you have a 'next thread' or 'next post' option somewhere in your newsreader?? When you find yourself irritated or bored, use that option.
Gosh forbid someone actually come here to ask a question. Sheeesh.
Banty

Yeah, I actually have the ability to look at the wall and know what looks good. I also have the ability to go to a paint store and get samples if I need help. Anyone that can not do these, really needs to hire a professional painter. Anyone that chooses paint colors just to "keep up with the jonses", rather than choose what they like, really ought to move into a rental property that does not allow painting. Let the landlord choose the color.

It's too bad the computer manufacturers dont place a PLONK button on our keyboards. so we can get rid of idiots like this with one single keystroke. Oh well, here goes !!!
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

"Samples" rarely look like the actual paint results unfortunately.
I don't see anything wrong asking for specific brands and/or chip nos. from anyone who has found neutrals they like, or seem to please others. Could certainly save some time to have some advice before you go shopping. bj