Question about old heating oil tank

Page 1 of 2
My heating oil tank is pretty old, and is located in my basement. I have no idea how much rust might be inside it. Is there any way to gauge it's structural integrity and approximate remaining lifespan? And should it spring a leak one day, is there any trick for quickly patching an oil leak just until a new tank can be installed? They say that with leaky automobile gas tanks, you can rub a bar of soap into the hole and it would hold for a while, would that work?
- Logic316
"Science is not a sacred cow. Science is a horse. Don't worship it. Feed it."
Logic316 wrote:

It is pretty difficult to do a meaningful inspection of an oil tank that is filled or partially filled. Thats why some insurers demand that old tanks be replaced. The leak could vary from lots of dripping to a blowout. Blowouts usually happen when the tank is being filled.

If thereis ANY question, drain and replace the tank. Any idea how long it takes to get the smell of furnace oil out of a basement?????
Logic316 wrote:

Lots of rust would be clogging your filter all the time. Ask the burner service man how the filter looks.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Logic316 wrote:

They do ultrasonic inspection on steel boat hulls, however given the pretty low cost of a new oil tank, the cheapest thing is typically to proactively replace them if there is any indication of deterioration.
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:48:52 -0400, "Logic316"

You continue to amaze me with your cheapness and stupidity. Its obvious your tank is old and an accident waiting to happen. Why not do it now before you tank leaks/busts/ruptures? You obviously will do it yourself since you seem to know everything. How hard is it to go buy a tank with the screw on legs, get a buddy and a dolly and a 12 pack and put a new one in place? Make sure you put a bottom drain with shut-off to periodically drain off the bottom contents to remove water and sediment. Put the whole tank in a pan. Convert it to a two pipe change your filter and nozzle and you are good to go. With the excess oil you burn being a tightass tuning your own boiler, surely you wont mind spending a few hundred bucks to change out your tank. Bubba

I know I'm feeding a troll here, but what if somebody's in a situation where he's planning to sell the house soon anyway? Didn't think of that, did you?
- Logic316
Expert:(n) from EX as in 'has been' and SPURT, 'a little drip under pressure'.

Actually a new tank is a selling feature, you hype the brand new tank rather than trying to hide an old tank. A property inspection may find the old tank and would probably cause the buyer to offer a lower price because he will find out that he will need to replace it.

How much do they go for?
- Logic316
"Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 18:14:46 -0400, "Logic316"

You can also have the oil company come in and pump the tank out and inspect it. YES, you will have to pay for that. Call a competent oil company or oil tech and have them give you a price on replacing your tank. Most will probably be able to give you an idea of that price over the phone.
"Didnt think of ANY of that, did you?"
Bubba

Thanks, but at this point I've determined that to be an oxymoron.
- Logic316
"ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.earth -- reboot universe? (Y/N)"
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:53:00 -0500, "Logic316"

tightass AND a moron. Bubba

I am floored by your wit Booboo. But if I'm going to call a technician for help (which will be when I call for a new boiler, since I'm pretty sure at this point I can reasonably tune the primitive old beast I'm using right now myself), you can be sure it won't be somebody who works for an oil distributor. It will probably cost me a bit more, but considering the fact that the previous oil company guys I've dealt with used no precision metering equipment, and the fact that my own "measuring by eye and nose" guessing made the boiler run a bit cleaner and more efficiently, I really have no reason to trust you guys. Sorry.
- Logic316
"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organised by the Italians."
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 00:15:49 -0500, "Logic316"

will. No harm. Keep beating your head against that brick wall. It may help one day. Bubba
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:54:27 -0400, "Logic316"

an oil poluted basement.

It's a high-gloss enamel coated floor. Unlikely any dripping oil would contaminate the concrete or ground under it. And with the oil pooling on top of the floor with no place to go, it would be kind of hard for me to not notice a leak. Of course, the way the oil company guys tend to carelessly spill oil onto the ground next to the filler spout by the side of my house, well, maybe I won't get into that.......
- Logic316
"Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get."
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:54:27 -0400, "Logic316"

You have an old oil tank, you know it is rusting through, you know it is in bad shape BUT you want to Fuck the guy who is buying the home. Same ol Same ol. Get it replaced and move on. Bubba

So you wouldn't have a problem with buying a home from someone like you. Personally, I would also have to ask.. whatelse in the house have you screwed with that is gonna give me a problem.

I would answer all questions honestly. If a buyer asks me how old the boiler and the oil tank is, I would tell him. If he wants to know how much fuel it uses, I would show him my oil bills (I have all the receipts going back 7 years). Like I said, if you buy an old car from somebody, even though he should point out any known defects, it's still your job to ask all the right questions and look it over carefully (or insist that an expert examine it), but to still expect the possibility that something might go wrong sooner than if you bought it brand new. If you have a problem with that, then maybe they should just make it illegal for anybody to ever sell anything in used condition?

I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't touched the oil tank, except once just to clean out the whistle.
- Logic316
"...trusting the government with your privacy is like having a Peeping Tom install your window blinds." -- John Perry Barlow

Somehow I have doubts...

And if he aske you how much longer it's gonna last ?

Tyhe whole idea is based upon a stupit premise anyways go away quit flipping houses asshole...
--either he wants the house or not--now, if you dont want it then quit wasting my time cause Im not gonna replace the roof, carpets hvac paint upograde electric plant palm trees install a telescope and solar cells etc. just because you and your realtor think it *might make the place more attractive to the average buyer.