Quartz Space Heater

Page 9 of 11

Just to clarify -- it doesn't all get here as *visible* light. Quite a bit of it is UV and IR.
--
Regards,
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:53:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

True, and that is also EM radiation. Just with a frequency outside a certain narrow band.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:11:30 -0500, "Solar Flare"

I do see the tower for the local radio station :-)
I suppose you know that "certain narrow band" is the limits of human vision.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Consider yourself fortunate, KJ. Now if Nick would just plonk everyone else we'd never hear from him again.

--
Cat fur expands to fill all available
drives.

:-)
So electricity units are the same as thermal units.
I'll have to remember next time I measure my PV panel output in BTUs

Not to pick nits (or 'knits'), but electricity used does not *create* heat. Electricity used *is converted to* heat. And the amount of heat that results is EXACTLY 3.413 Btu per watt 'consumed'. The fun part is that it is irrelevant of what else is being done by this electricity - lighting the room, spinning a turntable, chilling your beer, projecting an HDTV image on a big screen, etc. The amount of heat that results is EXACTLY 3.413 Btu per watt 'consumed'. In a very real sense, all of these are simply free byproducts of the electricity- to-heat conversion. And (getting sorta back on topic), during the heating season, the efficiency of these devices is irrelevant - there is zero energy wasted (discounting, of course, leaky windows, inadequate insulation, etc). Each and every Btu dissipated by these devices reduces the demand on your primary heating plant by exactly one Btu.
But wait -- it gets even better! (this blew my mind when I first heard it expressed this way) Assuming an 80% efficient gas furnace, each Btu dissipated by your electric appliances/toys reduces the demand on your primary heating plant by 1.25 Btu (an 80% furnace sends .25 Btu of this up the chimney). You actually consume *less* total energy, albeit at a higher cost, when you leave the lights and the TV on all night! (Tell THAT to your 'green' friends who just spent a small fortune replacing all their incandescent lamps with CFL!) Pretty wild, no?
Of course, during the cooling season, it's a very different picture.
On 1 Feb 2007 07:24:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

And electricity isn't he same thing as electrons. Somebody could be confused about that right now.

That changes when you know that electricity is such quantities has to be made. Even though that's not inside your house, it's still part of reality.
Most of the heat produced by the inefficiency of electricity generation is wasted.
Try running a generator inside. You'll get more efficient heating for awhile. :-)

I know it doesn't REALLY make sense, but sometimes it seems that they ought to be able to make a unit that cools your house while generating as much electricity as it would take to heat it in the winter.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The electric utility also consumes energy on your behalf, so the total system use is still (probably) higher.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Exactly and although heat may be the lowest form of energy and all energy may end up converted to heat in the end, the heat may not be where you want it.
So back to the heaters, the one that wastes the least energy is the most efficient, by heat output. The light and sound may end up being heat but it may also be outside your property.

That's true. Buy, typically, when talking about space heaters, "where you want it" is usually in the room where you place the heater. That's certainly the case in the context of this discussion.

Any and all energy 'consumed' by an electric space heater is dissipated as heat in the room in which it is placed. They are 100% efficient, by definition. That's why efficiency ratings are not required on electric space heaters (didn't you ever wonder about that?). One heater that is deemed 'better' than another is better only in terms of bells, whistles, and/or durability (although consumers frequently pay a hefty premium for slick marketing).

"Why don't we just ask Osama bin Laden? Uh, Osama Obama!" -- Ted Kennedy
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not so much by definition as by conservation of energy.
That's why efficiency ratings are not

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:23:10 -0500, "Solar Flare"

True. Light is electromagnetic radiation (which can exist in empty space). Heat (and sound) is mechanical vibration (which can't exist in empty space, it needs something to vibrate).

Mechanical vibration will cause heating.

Light (electromagnetic radiation) will create heat when it contacts any substance. That's what happens when you go outside on a sunny day.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
LOL. Are you actually serious or just trolling?

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:12:39 -0500, "Solar Flare"

I lack the proper emotional state to be capable of trolling.
I just stated some facts. If you believe any to be in error, you could always post alternatives.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

all this talk about vibrations I'm picking up. lets write a song about it. Oh yeah, the Beach Boys already did it:
I'm picking up good vibrations. She's giving me excitations.
I'm picking up good vibrations. Ooo, bop-bop, good vibrations.
She's giving me the excitations. Bop-bop, excitations.
Good, good, good, good vibrations.
I've seen a good vibrator get some girls really hot when I had to take a break. Some girls are worse than guys. :-))))))))