Quartz Space Heater

Page 6 of 11

My Nikko Alpha II makes the house lights dim during any particularily loud passages.

Had a sound system in a car... going down the road at 60 MPH (had a 100 A alternator - biggest battery that would fit)... turn the radio up and up and up...
Till it would shut down the computer and kill the engine. :-)
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:34:55 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

Both sound and heat are mechanical (not electromagnetic) vibrations.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Solar Flare writes:

"Radiant heat" is a non-scientific, superstitious concept. There is radiation and there is heat. Two different things that can transmute.
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:15:56 -0500, "Solar Flare"

Infrared is electromagnetic radiation at frequencies just below the visible spectrum (next to red). That is NOT heat. The fact that EM is constantly being converted to and from heat in no way makes them the same thing.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Funny we can photograph infrared heat from people's bodies and other warm objects even though it isn't heat.

Solar Flare wrote:

IDIOT
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 23:52:55 -0500, "Solar Flare"

There is (still) no such thing as "infrared heat". Infrared radiation is produced by warm objects. Heating these objects further produces more visible light (as seen in flames and heating elements, and in sparks too).

Photographic film, as well as CCD arrays in digital cameras, is sensitive to electromagnetic radiation in the infrared range.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
There is no such thing as a Mark even though you keep beaking off.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:58:57 -0500, "Solar Flare"

What's really strange is the idea that you're expecting that to change reality, and bring into existence a from of radiation that does not exist.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:53:30 -0600, Mark Lloyd

It isn't just warm things that radiate photons, it is everything, except all things also absorb photons, depending on temperature differences and other factors.
But I am curious about what the special thing that CO2 is supposed to have, it is a molecule with atoms vibrating or moving in some way, but those movements are not involved in the sensible heat measured, only the velocity of the entire molecule relative to neighbor molecules can transfer "heat".
"Heat" is not a thing in itself, it is only the motion of the molecules and how fast and how hard they hit when they bounce off other molecules.
Of course monatomic atoms are considered to be "molecules" in some ways.
I understand "Black Chrome" coatings on copper sheet or foil will absorb solar energy very well and not emit in short wavelengths, but chances are that anything that emits long waves will also absorb long waves, and CO2 has a very small specific heat compared to water vapor, and there must be a lot of difference in the latent heat of vaporization between the two molecules.
Joe Fischer I drive the right lane.

Everybody pick an energy, go to the link and report back with 500 words by Friday. <g>
http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/phy_labs/Heat/Heat.html
-zero
Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

point.

Point being then that sound energy is somehow unique--in that it just somehow 'magically dissapears' from the universe...

Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:

sound energy they emanate. They overheat from the energy they DON'T turn into sound.

Which is heat created... which makes his post CRAP.
Too much volume on your stereo is overheating your brain.

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:59:40 -0500, "Solar Flare"

Then you need some home made ice cream. It's good for brain cooling.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Sherlocks has spoken...