Q: Problem with roofer..

Hi, all. Inexperienced with dealing with roofer and could use some advice or suggestion.

Roofer came and replaced roof a few days ago. It was a very hot day, and anywhere the crew had left shingles lying about the lawn, the grass had died. My lawn is now covered with patches of yellow grass.

I'm trying to decide on the best way to deal with the roofing company on this. Is this a common issue for a roofer, and they might have someone that takes care of such problems? Should I suggest that they deduct the cost of repairing the lawn from their bill? Should I expect the get nowhere with the roofing company?

What would you do..? :(

Reply to
Bob

Give the grass a few days to green back up. It is normal for grass to turn yellow when it has been covered for a number of days.

Reply to
Lou W

As already noted, it will turn green again (soon). On a hot day, the shingles will burn the grass within an hour. Care has to be taken to get any scraps off the grass ASAP. This isn't meant to say the workers were careless, just the damage is done in a very short time.

Reply to
Jim Nitz

They destroyed your property and it is not common. Most roofers leave your yard spotless actually. I would tell them you want reimbursed for the damage and if they give you crap you can file a lean waiver and do not pay them becasue of breech of contract. or you can go to the BBB or you can check with the city and see if they are even licsnced which will give you great power..a lot of roofers are fly by night.

candice

Reply to
CLSSM00X7

It is people like you what is wrong with society today.

grass seeds cost pennies. take a chill pill.

and how do you know it is a breech of contract to the OP? have you seen this contract?

you can shut up now!

M.C. somewhere in Ca.

Reply to
Mike Columbo

sue their pants off!

Reply to
mark Ranseley

Better Business Bureau? The city will give you great power?

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!

Chuckle, snort, wheeze!

HAHAHAHAHOHOHOHHOHHAHAHAHAAAHOHOHOH!

GASP!

Please, make them stop!

Now, that is just too funny. It is far easier to nail Jell-O to a tree than to get any relief from shoddy workers.

There are two things every child needs to learn by the age of five years old. There is no justice in the world, and life is not fair. We are trained to go to authority figures when Johnny hits us or Mary takes our doll. We go through life thinking this is the way of things. It seriously handicaps many adults. You can be right. You can have proof. You can have a slam-dunk in court. You can get a judgement. Now try to collect.

Life ain't fair, and there is no justice in the world. Deal with it. It will free up a LOT of time.

Steve, who likes "Don Henley's - Get Over It!"

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Wait until next week when the grass grows back.

-v.

if they did a good job with the roof, be satistifed with the roof job... the guys that did mine did not know what they were doing and messed up big time.. i had to get the boss to come out with one of his regular workes to fix the problems in the roof(alot of people in my area had problems--hail storm came to town and the flyby night subs followed the storm and worked for regular companies)....they did not leave anything on the lawn.. the 7 guys who were working on the roof, each one of them wanted to be the trash guy(on the ground picking up trash and putting it in the dumpster...alot cooler than being on the roof working)........ just call up the company and get them to send someone out to pick up the trash, the lawn will come back in about one week or two......

Reply to
jim

Contact the roofing companby on their sloppy work and if they don't at least apologi se, contact the BBB. The grass jprobably will grow back, but workers should pick up their mess before they go. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec