How to deal with roofer and roof leaks

I bought a circa 1962 split-level home in August 2005. The fireplace

> is in the basement and the chimney is on an outside wall. The home > sits in a valley, so we have a difficult time with the fireplace. The > fireplace does not have a tradtional damper, but a damper cap at the > top of the chimney. I have that closed unless I am burning a fire. > > A. Fireplace doesnt draw well. Because of that, it takes a long time > to heat the chimney and once it is heated, everything is fine. > B. When fireplace is not in use, the residual smokey odor is very > obvious. It is May and we still have the smell from the fireplace. > > > I have a few ideas that will allow me to have wood heat while not > causing a big problem. Can you guys take a look and give me your > thoughts? > > 1. Chimney cap that has a fan on it. I have seen this mentioned on a > HGTV program. It appears to be designed for homes like mine. Though > the idea makes sense, I can see the lifespan being short because of the > electric motor and the heat exposure. It happens to be unattractive as > well. But, if it works, it may be worth it. Does anyone have any > thoughts on these? > > 2. Wood Stove insert that seals. My hunch is that the sealed doors > will keep the smokey smell contained in the stove and chimney. Because > of the improved efficiency, I would use less wood as well. > > 3. A metal (iron) pipe that would run inside the masonry chimney. I > would see this as a way to have a hot chimney as well as making it more > efficient. My father suggested that the pipe extend a few feet above > the chimney. Would this work in solving our problem? > > > Any thoughts would be appreciated. >

I am wondering if the fire doesn't draw well because of a lack of make-up air. Are there windows that you could crack open a little to get air in?

Reply to
Aaron

what warranty are you talking about? how long ago was the roof done? having a roofer redo the whole thing sounds extreme. i would say you need to have a third party out to look at the roof and figure out why it is leaking. for example, it doesn't seem reasonable to expect a roofer to replace the entire roof if it is a flashing problem.

Reply to
marson

You need to go into the attic and clearly identify the areas where the roof is leaking. The best time to do this is during or right after a rain. Even better is if you can get the roofer there at the same time. Any decent roofer will quicly recognize wet decking or rafters, and any reputable roofer will take care of the leaks if the roof is in warranty.

Take pictures of the leaks from inside. Take lots of pictures so the odds are in your favor that at least one or two of the pictures of each leak will clearly show the problem. Keep a set of the pictures for your records in case you have to go to small claims court.

If the roofer tries to dodge you, send him/her a certified letter, or even better (in states where it is allowed) get the roofer on the phone and record the conversation. It is bad when it comes down to less than straightforward measures, but in some states, recordings of phone conversations are legal evidence if one party (you in this case) knows the conversation is being taped.

Before your warranty expires, make sure you can document that you provided him notice that warranty work is necessary.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

What is term of the warranty? How long has it been leaking? How many times have you called the roofer to correct the problem?

If it is a 20 year warranty, and the roof is 19 years old, it is probably time to get a new one.

Reply to
Norminn

Aaron,

you seem to be treading into an area that could be very, very frustrating. Good luck.

IMHO: I would secure your right to getting everythign fixed under the warranty, but gathering as much evidence as possible. Photos, video tapes, and certified letters informing the roofer about the current conditions. If you roofer fails to repair the work, I would suggest you proceed consult with a lawyer. You might have to cut your losses(meaning minimize water damage), and get another roofer. Then sue the original roofer for the cost of the second roofers work. Make sure you document everthing.

Remember, you need not yell scream, or threaten. Just remember, if you think this is more than a simple failure to follow a warranty policy, then seek help also from your state's consumer protection agency, and you might want to talk to the BBB.

Good luck, and remember keep a supply of antacids ready. ;)

later,

tom @

Tom The Great